how much art,coding, music goes for?

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 6 years, 1 month ago

Hello Friends,

i am trying to create a Game developing company, with absolutely zero experience in that. I know it sounds silly, I have experience in running a small business as i have one, but games are something i always wanted to be involved with. So i have an idea of what game i want to create but i have no knowledge in programming, art, music etc. what needs for a game. I will assume the role of the producer and i just want to create some prototype which i will go around with after and try to find investors/publishers. So my question is where i can find, how much and how do people charge for art,3d modelling, is it per 1 character, per hour, what if i want whole race with cities, weapons etc., what about story writers - how much they charge and how? How much charge people who can use Unreal Engine (as i want to use that for my game - FPS) and so on. Meanwhile i am educating myself with game developing and the legal part (contractor agreements,non disclosure etc.) I will be grateful for any info you can give me.   

Advertisement
35 minutes ago, merlin77uk said:

Hello Friends,

i am trying to create a Game developing company, with absolutely zero experience in that. I know it sounds silly, I have experience in running a small business as i have one, but games are something i always wanted to be involved with. So i have an idea of what game i want to create but i have no knowledge in programming, art, music etc. what needs for a game. I will assume the role of the producer and i just want to create some prototype which i will go around with after and try to find investors/publishers. So my question is where i can find, how much and how do people charge for art,3d modelling, is it per 1 character, per hour, what if i want whole race with cities, weapons etc., what about story writers - how much they charge and how? How much charge people who can use Unreal Engine (as i want to use that for my game - FPS) and so on. Meanwhile i am educating myself with game developing and the legal part (contractor agreements,non disclosure etc.) I will be grateful for any info you can give me.   

The answer to your question various on several factors. Where are you located? What is the current average for local talent? Are you looking at outsourcing? Do you want the cream of the crop, or a mixture of entry level to advanced team members? What kind of games are you trying to make? What tools do you need to cover licensing costs for things like Maya, 3DS Max, Unreal, Audio Software, ect...

Before I get into anything else, I cannot stress this enough with any business (I run a few as well). You don't have to be an "expert" in everything, but you really need to know the field you're in and have a general idea of everything. How can your team look up to you as a 'Producer - Project Manager' if you've never worked on a single title yet? Put yourself on the other end, you're an advanced game programmer, how would you feel working for someone that had no idea what you needed to accomplish your goals, and were unable to provide direction? In this case, you simply hire someone to oversee everything that has experience as a project manager (also known as a producer), and you're just backing the company financially, but not 100% involved at floor level. Your management and business experience is fine, but you also need to have experience during a full life-cycle of game development. There are so many positions involved in Game Development, that going in blind is a disaster waiting to happen and waste of time and money.

You will also find it very hard to find an investor unless you have a decent track record, and you have some way to show ability to generate a return on their investment within your business. I personally would only invest in a company if you can clearly see talent and ability to preform, but money is the only lacking problem.

The first step is to look at any stats that show ranges for pay in those fields if you're looking to hire locally, otherwise you need to figure out where you want to outsource from and see what people charge. It's pretty easy to go online and find many different people looking for work.

The second step is find out what you require, and if you really need to hire the top person for the job, or if the game doesn't require the best of the best.

The third step is to know what kind of games you're going to be making, this will dictate if you need a 2D artist only, or if you require a 3D artist. This will also tell you what kind of writer you need, and composer for music, game designer, tool editor, network programmer, engine programmer, game programmer, ect... Then you need to consider marketing, PR, and more!

The fourth step is to take all the above and find what tools you'll need, and price out licensing fees, and program costs, new computers, and whatever else is needed. You also need to keep in mind how you're going to fund exposure for your new title.

When it comes to pricing in the way you've listed, I will assume you're hiring on contract basis? Usually in house means salaried or hourly employees. I know a lot of designers I've worked with will charge based on the scope of the project itself, and set mile stones to receive payment as the project progresses. When my company is hired to program applications, and so forth, I do not charge by the hour directly, I scope out the entire project based on several variables and quote a final amount while setting milestones if it will be a long project.

The major issue you're going to have is that you have zero experience in game development, you wont be able to accurately assess deadlines, time required, and asset lists which will make it extremely hard to dictate any budget for a given game.

I would personally suggest you either hire a project manager while learning the industry and what is generally required in all roles, then branch out as a project manager. Game Studios can spend various amounts to make any given title, you might see numbers like $500k - $250mil + USD, ect... even having a small team can cost you hundreds of thousands per year in wages. Nobody can give you a direct answer because different games cost different amounts, and you have to factor in many variables.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thank you Rutin, you are right, i should specify a bit more. The idea is to create a FPS similar to "Dust514" it was released for PS3 and made By CCP (creators of EVE online), but for PS4/Xbox I understand that with my level of experience that is not possible, but i just want to start the project, to have something in development, like few models, story, some drawings, if possible some animation to show what the game will be about and in that stage i think it will have much better chance of finding investors. Of course after i have something in hand i will hire competent producer etc. I am based in London, but the idea is to make the full game in Bulgaria (EU country), not only there are many talents there, but i know that the pay rate there is lower, so the cost of the project will go significantly down. Its one thing when talking about idea stage and another when having something to show, so my goal is, to just start it up and then go with the flow )) But like i said i dont know even how much and how to pay, how do people charge when doing outsourcing. I dont want to overpay and id like to know if someone is asking for real minimum so i can appreciate that gesture. Thanks again your reply was great! 

If you only want to make a prototype of your game, then browse the Unity store.  They have so many assets you can use for a low price or even free.

After the prototype, the investors will give you the needed cash to by new artwork.

1 hour ago, merlin77uk said:

Thank you Rutin, you are right, i should specify a bit more. The idea is to create a FPS similar to "Dust514" it was released for PS3 and made By CCP (creators of EVE online), but for PS4/Xbox I understand that with my level of experience that is not possible, but i just want to start the project, to have something in development, like few models, story, some drawings, if possible some animation to show what the game will be about and in that stage i think it will have much better chance of finding investors. Of course after i have something in hand i will hire competent producer etc. I am based in London, but the idea is to make the full game in Bulgaria (EU country), not only there are many talents there, but i know that the pay rate there is lower, so the cost of the project will go significantly down. Its one thing when talking about idea stage and another when having something to show, so my goal is, to just start it up and then go with the flow )) But like i said i dont know even how much and how to pay, how do people charge when doing outsourcing. I dont want to overpay and id like to know if someone is asking for real minimum so i can appreciate that gesture. Thanks again your reply was great! 

If you're looking to develop for PS4 and Xbox One you'll require a developer license to deploy using Unreal:

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/custom-licensing

I really cannot add much more because I honestly think it's a bit of a stretch to achieve such a goal without the experience. However, if you really want to do this I can suggest seeking out an Agency to oversee your development. You'll pay a lot more, but you'll be getting a proper development team working on your concept so you can pitch something in future.

If you want to hire and slowly develop then you'll have to learn as you go, and that will not only come with a cost in time, but in money as well. Build a solid concept of exactly what your story is, and objective, then generate an asset list from there. Once you know what you need you can begin contracting out to get those assets completed and build your FPS within Unreal.

Someone else will have to answer the question about over-paying in international markets. I personally contract locally for many reasons, including legal enforcement in the event a breach is made as the cost to attempt enforcement isn't worth it, and does not guarantee any payout if you essentially land on a dead judgment (depending on enforcement within that country, and what assets you can go after, if any).

Programmer and 3D Artist

" i think it will have much better chance of finding investors."

You will almost certainly not find investors to put money into a games company that has never shipped product. Angel & VC investors are looking for high-risk, high-return investments; they want a 1 in 20 chance of a 1000x reward. Games companies do not produce the growth rates required for that. Banks want a 1 in 1 chance of getting a 106% return. You can't offer that certainty.

And to anyone else, your competitors are people who've left studios to set up on their own and were lead developer on titles people have heard of...

On 3/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, merlin77uk said:

The idea is to create a FPS similar to "Dust514" it was released for PS3 and made By CCP (creators of EVE online), but for PS4/Xbox

Read their credits to see what it took to make that game.

They list 43 programmers, 36 artists and animators, 6 audio folks, 11 designers.  All total they've got about 110 people as developers, with no list of QA and other disciplines.

Based on what I can see, they spent about five years on the project but appear to have ramped up over time.  Using quick estimates that's about 4500 work months. At costs in the US that's about $45M in development.

Since you want to build it to the newer and more expensive devices, you'll be looking at perhaps $60M in development if you already had an established business.  Then likely another $50M-$100M in marketing, and another $50M in pre-production and post-production costs.  And since you would either need to build your company from scratch or hire others to do it, add in those overhead to make it about a quarter billion dollars.  

Nobody wants to quote specific numbers and they're generally covered under NDA, but here's a somewhat recent Kotaku article that matches the quick estimates. Costs have gone up in the four years since that article, but not enough to distort it too much.  

For hobby projects and independent works it can be a realistic project to find the tiniest gems that defined the game and limit yourself to those.  Even that is an enormous work for an individual, potentially requiring several work years for a minimal product.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement