7 Sound Design Tips for Beginners

Started by
1 comment, last by nsmadsen 3 years, 9 months ago

Hello all!

I made a video going over 7 fundamental techniques I use when creating a sound for a game. This can be applied to background music as well as sound effect creation. I show a practical use of each tip after doing a brief explanation of the technique.

7 Sound Design Tips for Beginners:

Advertisement

While I like your approach in the video, I found many of your examples to be very surface level. And in some of examples the signal is clipping quite badly and you don't do anything to discuss this. I realize your video is aimed at beginners which is why I think it's even more critical to explain to new users what techniques (like distortion) will do to a sound and how you may need to compensate for the added output of a distorted signal in your session. Likewise your time stretching example doesn't discuss any dangers of stretching audio. There could be artifacts or discussing what kind(s) of signals tend to stretch better than others. Also you could discuss about how these approaches could be used in tandem for even more unique results. Or automating your FX chains so that the sound evolves.

I think that's my main issue with your video - it doesn't go deep enough of equip beginners (who are your target audience) to actually do any of these approaches. This video is a decent primer but maybe your follow up videos can go much more into the how and why these approaches work and show step-by-step ways to reproduce the effects. I think that would have much great impact on your audience.

Best of luck!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement