What are the pros/cons for crowdsourcing

Started by
6 comments, last by patmiller 3 years, 9 months ago

Question posted in error

None

Advertisement

What do you mean by crowdsourcing, Pat? Are you talking about crowdfunding? Or are you talking about making your game open source?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

from https://web.archive.org/web/20171029061754/http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4025-what-is-crowdsourcing.html

Crowdsourcing is a term used to describe the process of getting work or funding from a large group of people in an online setting. The basic concept behind this term is to use a large group of people for their skills, ideas and participation to generate content or help facilitate the creation of content or products.

In a sense, crowdsourcing is the distribution of problem solving. If a company needs funding for a project, marketing content for an upcoming campaign or even research for a new product, the crowd is a powerful resource capable of generating vast amounts of money, content and information.

So crowdfunding is a form of crowdsourcing. And so is making it open source.

None

So you're asking about both crowdfunding AND open-sourcing? Or is ONE of those the main thing you are asking about?

As for pros & cons of the latter, klsteen discusses some in his thread: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/707676-crowdsourcing/

I'm asking about the pros and cons of crowdsourcing. That's when, if you need a particular resource for a project, instead of going to some private organization you make a public request for said resource. It could be a textures, music, 3D models, ideas, or even funding. When you crowdsource for funding, that particular form of crowdsourcing is called crowdfunding.

None

So I went back to read the original post to try to get a handle on this very broad question and narrow it down. You're a student and you've been assigned to research crowdsourcing and crowdfunding for an imaginary prototype/POC (or your assignment is to write a paper on whether or not you should crowdsource your game for which you already have a prototype/POC)?

There's a rule on this site that homework questions aren't allowed. But it's conceivable that there's a gray area here, depending on what your homework assignment is exactly. I might be willing to talk about pros/cons of crowdsourcing based on my own professional experience as a producer, but not if it constitutes helping a student with homework and violating forum rules. Can you tell us more about "working on a project where I have to try and sell a prototype/POC"? The last paragraph of your original post above was unnecessary to the question - I'm asking for information that IS necessary to the question. Are you talking about crowdsourcing to develop the prototype into a better proof of concept (one that could be used to get crowdfunded)? Or are you talking about crowdsourcing and crowdfunding to get the prototype/POC developed into a marketworthy game?

I just double checked the prompt. It seems I misread it. I'm just supposed "Reach out to the game community (GameDev.net or gamasutra or a similar site) for techniques about how to best "sell" your idea for your prototype and proof of concept". The question I originally asked was meant for me. Because the question I did ask is against the rules of both GameDev.net and SNHU I decided to delete it.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement