When even having a budget can't get you a freelance programmer - the problem with having too much pre-existing code

Started by
11 comments, last by Brian Sandberg 2 years, 9 months ago

I've recently hit a brick wall. My game has a strong fan community, and 5 released builds behind it with 10,000 lines of code under the hood. Now I'm not a programmer, I'm a designer and I know we get a bad rep but I'm apparently pretty good at it according to all the candidates I've been showing the GDD work to.

My developer partner recently passed away after a year of development, and so I've had to try and fill the void - at first, I just tried rev-share ads but it was always a wishful outcome to find that kind of passion and willingness to come on board. Once I'd given that enough time I recently turned to freelancers, with pay per milestones, and the money wasn't an issue - I was able to meet all quoted prices. I've interviewed some great candidates and even though I've been willing to factor in them getting to know the code into their pricing, they've all been unwilling to work on the project once they found out how much code had already been implemented.

Thus I find myself in a very strange and confusing position, not knowing how to proceed next. If anyone's got some useful advice beyond my learning to code (I started about a month ago and I've got a lifetime of work to go before I'm at any meaningful level of capability), I'd be grateful to hear it.

Advertisement

If the existing code has bugs needing fixing, or is not commented well, it's understandable that freelancers might be hesitant to dig in.

But if the existing code works fine and is well commented, and the game is playable and you just need new features programmed, maybe it's a matter of writing down exactly what still needs to be implemented.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper The code is clean and well commented, and the new features to-be-implemented are documented to a high-fidelity of detail. I've been told all this by 4 freelancers so far who were interested and who looked everything over. It was the scope of the code already existing that ultimately caused them to drop out, as I asked each time.

You've only had 4 nibbles so far. Keep trying. Good luck!

@Tom Sloper Is that not a lot? I've never advertised for freelancers before, I thought it was a lot. I hope you're right - thank you for the encouragement.

After 10 have turned you down, then you can feel bad. But that would still be too soon to give up.

Wolf Beaumont said:

... they've all been unwilling to work on the project once they found out how much code had already been implemented.

10000 lines isn't much, if it's organised well, like I also think you're saying.

It would be very interesting to find out why your candidates dislike that a lot has already been implemented - that's the case for a lot of projects. A lot of projects that also get external people in to work on.

Perhaps it would be useful to get a more specific reason our of the next candidate (if you're unfortunate enough that they also pass on the opportunity)

One dynamic that might be in play here: Programmers generally do it because it's fun. Digging into someone else's code and living with someone else's constraints, is less fun, and more like work.

Programmers have a lot of options if they want to do paid work. Fresh grads who move to San Francisco make > $60/hour in their first job. And get health insurance, vacation/sick time, and stock options on top of that. That's entry level, fresh-from-college salaries in Silicon Valley. (Then again, rent's kind-of harsh, so you might still be living with roommates.)

So, how much is the pay? Can you compete with an entry-level, first-job from a San Francisco company? Or, if you want higher-skilled engineers, can you compete with an even higher compensation level?

If not, what else can you offer that would entice a developer? Doing just a day a week could be interesting for someone stuck in the corporate grind but still in need of health insurance. Taking a leadership role in an existing community might be another interesting draw for some people. Just having your name on a shipping game might be enough for a little while for someone new to the business. I have no idea what your particulars are, but I highly recommend that, unless you're profitable enough to pay market rates, you look for developers who specifically need what you are offering, for one reason or another.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Wolf Beaumont said:
with pay per milestones

Even if I can understand the approach behind these, paying per milestone won't be an option for me, especially if there isn't an active programmer already working on the game. You need to understand that getting into the code regardless how well it is documented and spoiler, mostly it isn't or it is over documented without saying anything important, you're spending time to get into it and this is a factor that decreases your income on the first few milestones. If there isn't someone one could talk to, this makes the situation even worse for a freelancer

Hmm,

perhaps you should be advertising for some kind of technical cofounder?

I assume your goals include making more than this just one game?

Looking for someone who has the dedication, skills, and motivation to see things to the end and beyond are key.

if you have a company, perhaps you can offer % of that?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement