How can i NOT get lost and completely lose interest in the infinite sea of game development?

Started by
14 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 weeks, 4 days ago

To be honest, i'm just JEALOUS of people who actually say it's easy and who actually had the time to learn it. They just say “The sky is the limit! You can do anything you want with code!” Yeah? What about taking the time to actually feel imprisoned and study code in your jail cell that you call “home computer”? I think people who study it for passion are a bunch of idiots who want nothing but waste time or just so they can get big money.

I'm horribly stressed by how much TIME, EFFORT AND PRACTICE it takes to make a shitty excercise project, and something as dumb as a 2D game that doesn't even have a goal or anything, i mean a simple practice project. I literally (i'm not lying, seriously) started to cry because how much of a burden and how heavy the topic is to me. I have seen my interest of music and animation is starting to eat up my interest for game development. Yeah, even if indie music is completely pointless other than getting 2 views on bandcamp, and indie animation is starting to become cliché and very demanding for the public's likeness, it's driving me crazy.

Yeah, the triad of successful game dev (Music, Animation and Programming) is slowly turning apart, and my goal since was to become good in these 3. Not even an expert, just so good that i can make good games that aren't made with “Standard gamejolt game with stereotypic pixel art" essence.

I feel hopeless. I think it's totally impossible to give my future games an unique essence because they'll end up in the “Standard 2D Game” pit. Currently in my musical experience i can do no more than take others' musical pieces and rearrange them so they can “be something that i made”, and i haven't even made something related to animation, just some sketches and amateur drawings typical of a horny teenager who wants to draw anime girls in bikini.

It's funny- no, it's a fucking circus that i have to spend 2 years, not sleep for weeks, buy 30+ coffee packs per week, use up 30 pencils taking notes and say “no, i will eat dinner later” learning C++ and ALL of its features just so i can MOVE THEM ASIDE and chip away what works to make a game. Sure, it's more of an innate sort of laziness and procrastination, but still, it's fucking bullshit. Everyone thinks programming is a cakewalk but they're all retards.

Whenever i think “Oh! this will make my game cooler!” or “The character will look awesome doing this!” i almost immediately lose all hope and remember i can't fucking make it happen. I just can't. Every time i try i actually feel like it is too much for me. And no, i actually don't have the feel of leaving it completely. I have more than 9 games with different genres planned.

As an expert procrastinator, and guru of laziness, this has driven me near insanity. Wish programming was made easier so i can't WASTE MY TIME paying on idiotic courses and learn how to make a program for a company, thing which i absolutely am NOT doing. Also, wish someone could fucking shove a syringe up my brain and extract away all the “procrastinite” inside.

“Learn C++ so you can make games easier!” *makes a quick google* Hmm, Does it work for 2D and 3D games?

“Yes, and it's easy to learn!” *googles again* Wait, does it really work well for GAMES, and not systems?

“Yes! It works very well!” *googles one last time* It says it's more error-prone.

“That's the fun part!!! Or else, learn JavaScript!” *sees it's javascript* NO. JUST NO.

Heh, JS isn't even made for games. Python is way too basic for games, and C++ has too many technical differences with C#.

<void> -Cato or some other dude idk

Advertisement

Catomax26 said:
this has driven me near insanity.

You just need to take it slowly and calmly, with readjusted expectations.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Catomax26 said:
and something as dumb as a 2D game.

Just because it's 2D only, it's not simple or easy.

Few weeks ago you came here with plans about a game but no coding experience yet.
And now you already expect results?

You need more patience. It takes time, and that's normal.

JoeJ said:
And now you already expect results?

It's not about it, i'm just upset at how hard and time-consuming is actually becoming a gamedev. You know, it's also kind of stupid. Being a part-time gamedev is impossible. If you're taking it as a hobby, then you're fucked up, as it may even require you living as a hermit so you can have ALL the free time and the time required to make a stupid project.

I had a very bad time with Paper2D, as it is literally taking a 3D sheet and aligning your camera just right so it feels 2D. It's not fair. I'm also really confused as how everyone variates their opinion SO MUCH with programming languages. They may say “this one is good for starters”, then end up saying “joking, this one is for experts”.

I feel like even planning my game for over one year, its cool characters, its cool gameplay and everything else was just in vain, because i actually don't even feel like my explosive, stubborn and meticulous personality is actually gonna think it was fun learning code, and from what i can feel: No, i'm NOT having fun with code.

Excellence at anything takes time.

… and chances are good that you'll be dead before your dream comes true.

because i actually don't even feel like my explosive, stubborn and meticulous personality is actually gonna think it was fun learning code, and from what i can feel: No, i'm NOT having fun with code

P.D: someone make a magical something that makes code not feel gray and static compared to walking your dog, going to a party, etc.

Catomax26 said:
If you're taking it as a hobby, then you're fucked up, as it may even require you living as a hermit so you can have ALL the free time and the time required to make a stupid project.

No. I still had a job, found a a wife, raised a son, and had a normal life. Imo, treating it as a hobby is the right thing to do. (Well, in my case there are no game dev companies nearby, so that was the only option to me.)

Catomax26 said:
“joking, this one is for experts”.

Imo, it's not. C and C++ are the easiest languages i know.
Others try to make it easier, but this never works for me. ‘Easy’ means hiding things i want to understand, access and use.
But yes, different people - different experiences, recommendations, and convictions.

The modern way to learn it from ground up, like i did on C64, is to use something like Pico-8. That's pretty restricted, but complexity is reduced to a minimum. Worth a look, maybe you like it.

Catomax26 said:
from what i can feel: No, i'm NOT having fun with code.

Not everybody can do it. You may be just out of luck, and gamedev is not for you.
But if you want to do it, don't give up so quickly - after… just some weeks <giggle>

just some weeks <giggle>

Pfft. I'm forced to stay in school from 9 AM to 6 PM, and all i do on 6 PM to 12 AM is just relax and do house chores. At this rate, it will force me to wait 20 years so i can start making a game.

No, it's not because of “abusive parents” or “abusive school”, It's all because that's the education standard here in Colombia. From what i have heard, Colombia is only known because of its fauna and flora, drug exportation issues and popular, shitty music that faded away the country's signature music. I feel like i want to be the ONLY game designer in Colombia, but meh, it's hopeless since programming is accidentally forbidden in here. Funny enough, moneyless people like me whose only talent is to know basic B1 english is enough so they can stop me from learning programming and go train football with the rest of kids.

I think your expectations are completely out of whack with reality, or that you are trying to learn at the wrong level.

As an example, I was playing around with learning to speak Japanese, and after some time I was at a level where I could follow a percentage of the dialogue of the simplest children's animes (which is how I came to know the Dragonball universe, funny that) and would improve by listening to those. But if I switched to more difficult material that I was more interested in, it would go completely over my head and I would learn exactly nothing. Learning at the correct level is key.

Programming isn't going to change. The struggle of getting your first Tetris implementation to work, doesn't feel much different from whatever you'll be struggling with later as you become more competent. You'll always be interested in doing things that are beyond you at the time. If you don't enjoy the simple things now, you won't enjoy more complicated thing later. Not unless YOU change. Although the good news is that at your age you're going to be changing quite a few times.

JoeJ beat me to it, and it's great advice. Pico8. Ditch C++ and Unreal and everything else, and make a handful of little Pico8 games. Then post them here. We'll want to see Snake, Pong, Arkanoid, Tetris and Space Invaders. You'll be hard pressed to find better training anywhere. When those are trivially easy for you, you are ready to move on.

Advertisement