🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting into the SFX

Started by
4 comments, last by Thrawn 22 years ago
Have some questions about becoming a sound effects engineer: 1) Which mic would be the best for SFX? (*not* voices) Some people have recommended the Shure SM58 I believe it is... 2) Which recording device is the best? (I was thinking laptop b/c I have one, but other people say to get a mini-disc. What do you recommend?) 3) Which software do you recommend? I cannot afford a SFX studio...
Thanks,Gordon Hollenbeck
Advertisement
I''m trying to get a SM58, but they are extremely expensive, though professional.

Some good share software is Goldwave. www.goldwave.com , naturally.
Do you know if SoundForge better than Goldwave?
Thanks,Gordon Hollenbeck
You can get a Shure SM58 for ~$90 at musicansfriend.com. Although you might be able to get it cheaper and barely used through E-Bay or something.
I plug mine into a Sony Minidisc recorder and get great sound for FX when I need to be portable. BUT, Since you have a laptop you are even better off than I am. I say use the laptop because of quality purposes and backing up files. For software, You can get TotalRecorder real cheap (~$20) or Cakewalk Pro 9 which I think is practically free by now. FYI, I use Sonar XL and a Shure KSM44 mic for in-house work. hope that helps.

DRC
Megalith Music
Solar EXtract
"Do you know if SoundForge better than Goldwave?"

I''d take SoundForge over every other editor on the market, hands down, with the Waves Gold Native Bundle (DX Plugins), but you''re looking at around a grand for the whole thing; $400 for sound forge.

Sounds like you''re working with a lower budget; Goldwave and CoolEdit (and I''m sure there are others now) will still let you do quite a bit for a LOT less money.

Check out the "best mic for sfx" thread, it lists a few options (alongside the Shure SM58) with prices. I still don''t think field work should be done with anything other than dat and a condenser, but I''m stubborn...
I'd personally take Cool Edit Pro over Sound Forge any day of the week. Don't sell it short. That said, try a bunch of tools out, and pick which one works for you. Someone else's favorite tool isn't necessarily the best one for you. Most of them offer demo versions.

-Chris

[edited by - cpotako on June 25, 2002 11:04:43 PM]
-Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement