🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

music: can I get some pointers/critizism?

Started by
11 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 12 months ago
Can I get some critizism/pointers/comments on this music that I made? Music [edited by - Muzlack on July 2, 2002 12:01:46 AM]
--Muzlack
Advertisement
ps--just do a right click-save as to view it
I don''t care much for the panning. Keep the drum track centered. Think about how the music would sound if it was being played by a band. The sound of the drums would come from the center of the stage. The bass from one side and the guitar from the other. So panning between two different instruments is ok, but panning one instrument back and forth probably isn''t a good idea. Also remember that most of the sound will still come from the middle.

At 30 seconds there is a ''hesitant'' note that doesn''t quite work for me.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Interesting. Quite high tension music. Probably wouldn't want it repeating too much.

A couple of things I thought:

You need more richness to the sound, like background instruments or something. It goes on and off a little too much, even for dramatic music.

You're slightly overusing panning. Don't make the panning so extreme.

[edited by - golan trevize x on July 2, 2002 12:28:14 AM]
i thought the piano pan was great. it was quite effective, but the drums and bass, they are the percussion and the back bone to any piece... generally it''s just an unbroken rule these are kept in the centre, although it can be quite interesting to work on tom rolls which pan gently from each speaker, but it shouldn''t be as exagerated as the piano.

the piano piece was good, but it did lack ''fullness'', i felt there needed to be a little more continuity with some more instruments.

but hey, the piano piece was interesting, probably because your a pianist, or you wrote that part first, that''s why it stands out, did you have that idea first?

Purple Hamster
Helped and be helped!
David J Franco__________________________visit www.davidjfranco.com
Well actually, I didn''t write the piano part, my brother wrote it on guitar and I learned it by ear and made it "build up" like you hear. Then I figured out the basic chord that it plays in and figured out that strings part in the background. Lastly I added in the drums. Now that I think about it, the panning does sound dumb. I''m gonna fix up the piece a bit and put another post.

Sponge Factory
--Muzlack
--Muzlack
Ok here's the new link:

music

I really don't like the part at 22 seconds--I fixed it a little, but it still sounds really bad. The dead silence almost sounding just ruins it. I had a good thought in my head what to do there, but it just didn't come out right.

Sponge Factory
--Muzlack

[edited by - Muzlack on July 3, 2002 5:07:18 PM]
--Muzlack
actually the beginning part is the best part.

Purple Hamster
Helped and be helped!
actually the beginning part is the best part.
... ur problem probably resides with the lack of effects.... if you had some reverb, some of those piano notes in the middle of the piece would carry on and fill the silence

Purple Hamster
Helped and be helped!
I think the sparseness is fine. But I would add a bass line of some kind, especially on the "verse" section (12-19) and the "power chords". The panning has improved - I like how the beginning builds, but I think the intensity wanes too soon. For a bass line of the "verse" whole notes will probably work just fine.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement