🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Please try these

Started by
3 comments, last by tj963 21 years, 12 months ago
Here''s my geocities website that I eventually plan to make much better: www.geocities.com/tj963b/home.html Please listen to the music (MIDIs) and tell me what you think, both of the composing and also how the instruments sound on the sound card. I''m currently deciding whether I need to turn them into MP3s or not, since that will be more work but I do want them to sound okay. Thanks, tj963
tj963
Advertisement
Songs 4 and 6 I just didn''t care for, to be painfully honest. It''s hard to get into specifics, they just would have put me to sleep during a game. Hopefully someone else will post something more constructive for these two...

song 2

This felt like it would fit nicely in a classic 2d rpg. The piano needs to be louder, and you definitely want to take a break somewhere in the middle, make the chord progression go somewhere new because it gets stale after a while. Overall I like it though, it has potential.

Overall I couldn''t stand the sounds, especially the strings; my GM set comes from an SB Audigy. If you can make them better by using soundfonts and mp3-ing them, I say go for it.
Thanks. I agree that the chord progression needs to go somewhere else in song 2 and 4, maybe 6 too. I been working on some ideas for that.

Interesting though, song 2 is my least favorite.

tj963
tj963
Not bad by any means, but I have some critisisms. In general, the songs just don''t like they''re moving anywhere. A lot of the chord progressions are just repeated throughout the songs, which isn''t bad, but I think there needs to be more than one or two to make it less boring. It seems like you just repeat the same thing over and over again just adding more and more instruments along the way and changing very little, if anything, else, which makes it feel like a bad techno song (not in texture, but in style). Try to be a little more creative with your chord progressions and don''t be afraid to use more than one or two per song. A key change or two would be nice as well, just something to make them more interesting.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."
song2
sounds really old-school, so you should probably use it in some kind of retro-game. sounds like one of these old game-intros with still images and much text. make it evolve faster and/or raise the tempo a bit. not suited for ingame.

song4
if you planned this for some kind of battle scene, then you''ll have to make it much faster and it has to sound more aggressive.

song6
also kinda old-school intro-type music. but to be honest I don''t like this one very much...

You should really turn them into synthesyzed mp3s, then you can make more out of this music, especially song4.

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement