🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

That cool vocal stuff...

Started by
7 comments, last by Linc 21 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know what kind of genre of music that stuff like the music for the big fight scene Star Wars Ep. 1 is? And/or the stuff where there is Latin mixed in with the orchestral score. Also, does anyone know where I could find some more stuff like it? Thanks
Advertisement
Genre? Classical, I guess. Some of it is in the Star Wars- Pod Racer game CD, I know that for sure. I reckon you could find it with any file sharing application (winmx.com) too. ''Star Wars 1 soundtrack''.
opera as well.
Carmina Burana by Karl Orff- you'll find it in the classical music section of your local CD store. I think it is still under copyright, so you're a little less likely to find it for free. Once you hear it you'll realize how much it has inspired (and even been copied directly by) film music composers. If you listen to one of the tracks in "Glory" by James Horner, you'll hear how he just lifted material from Carmina Burana and plopped it into the Civil War, and with great effect, I might add.

I've been practicing a bit with "Voices of the Apocalypse" and came up with some vocal tracks for gaming or film--
http://www.nicholaspalmer.com/audio/battle_music.mp3 and http://www.nicholaspalmer.com/audio/waterywomen.wma.

Nick Palmer

[edited by - nicholas1 on July 12, 2002 6:10:27 PM]
Look up chamber music, that is similar to the style John Williams was going for in Phantom Menace, its basically like church choirs. Combine that with an orchestra, and you''ve got some powerfull music!

The language you're referring to is Sanskrit (Source: Phantom Menace DVD Special Features - Featurette on scoring the movie - yes, I did get the DVD, don't hold that against me ;-) ). Williams thought it had an "epic" quality to it, and I'm sure you and I both agree that he was right. I believe the words are actually translated to "Duel of Fates" (almost the title of the piece itself), but I may be (read: probably am) wrong.

During the 20th century, composers were trying to recreate the mood and aire of medieval and Renaissance music (qv Notre Dame Clausula, French Chanson, Minnesigners, Trouveres, etc) with a contemporary dynamic to keep it interesting. Igor Stravinsky was, arguably, one of the first 20th century composers to compose to this ideal with L'Oiseau de Feu and Le Sacre du Printemps (among others).

They were actually balets, but we begin to see the reversion around these works. Williams' work is the culmination of this ideal.

nicholas1 has an excellent point about Carmina Burana. O Fortuna is probably the most recognizable sections of Carmina Burana and is a classic example of this form of arrangement. Plus, it has a timeless epic quality that will probably never be eclipsed.

The bottom line is, you can essentially make up a language to put the lyrics to, as long as the phonemes elicit the mood you're trying to convey (for this you're going to need to research phonetic interpretation and linguistic morphologies) or you can just find some cool sounding words from any number of different languages to use.

Apply it as a combination of operatic and choral work, or a choral piece with operatic qualities. Use your tenors to your full advantage, they are your rhythm section in the chorus (qv homophony in Medieval music, particularly Richard the Lionheart and Eleanor of Acquitaine).

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!
Chad

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com

[edited by - charper on July 15, 2002 3:07:10 AM]

[edited by - charper on July 15, 2002 3:20:26 AM]
2 afterthoughts

1) Those pieces also incorporate elements from baroque and classical hymns.

2) I didn't even answer your question, so here goes (and my apologies, btw):
Any derivation of all the above categorizations would work for a genre classification, but I've taken a passing fancy to "Secular Orchestral Hymn"

[edited by - charper on July 15, 2002 3:11:07 AM]

[edited by - charper on July 15, 2002 3:19:35 AM]
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies. They really helped. Thanks nicholas1 for the links and the name of that CD, and thanks to charper for the extra information about the music (even though it brought back bad memories of all my old music theory classes :-))
Blizzard used Latin in their WC3 trailer \intro movie (The one with orcs charging into humans). Worked pretty well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement