🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Music: Need some feedback please

Started by
4 comments, last by Mister Anopo 21 years, 11 months ago
Feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated; I just put these four songs up on mp3.com as part of my demo reel. I''m new to writing music for games, so any pointers you have will be very helpful (sounds, composition, feel, etc). Thanks alot. http://www.mp3.com/wyrmwood_sound
Advertisement
-

[Edited by - D2 on September 24, 2008 5:55:03 PM]
quote: Original post by D2
What genre you looking to apply these to?

I'm an RPG fan, but essentially I want to be able to write for all genres: RPG, FPS, RTS, etc., as well as film and tv. I'll need to eventually put an orchestral song on my reel and a few other styles.
Promo 1 - Overall a nice piece, but I couldn't picture where it would fit into a game.

Actually this was intended as a promo for a car commercial which never got sent to the ad company.
Promo 2 - The build up was excellent.. but instead of a boiling point, it went to the breakdown...

I've been working on this piece for about a year, constantly trying new arrangements. I still can't seem to nail it. The entire song (Abrasion) can be heard here if you want to give it a listen.
Just curious, what tools did you use to make your music?

Software is Cubase VST/32, Sound Forge, Reaktor, and plugins from Waves and TC. Hardware is an Alesis QS7, Roland MC303, Roland Juno 6, BOSS DR-660, EMAX II, and various other outboard schtuff.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

[edited by - Mister Anopo on July 12, 2002 3:28:32 PM]
Doh! Three sites and only two bits of feedback. Anyone else? SA-Magic? Mr. Calabrese? (dare I ask), Andrew?

I know the music is technically ok, I'm just not sure if it's "game music", and indie dev teams have a nasty habit of not replying when I sent them my demo reel... Something's not right, I just can't figure out exactly what it is.

[edited by - Mister Anopo on July 14, 2002 3:05:11 PM]
-

[Edited by - D2 on September 24, 2008 5:26:40 PM]
you might want to learn the trade of sound engineer, especially dealing with surround sound effects, since that''s become standard in modern gaming.

Unfortunately I''m already doing that. Getting onto a team as a sound designer isn''t tricky at all, and I love doing it, but I thought I''d try doing a music project before starting my next sound design project.

I''ve never spammed a company with my tunes, I always wait for a company that''s looking for a composer before sending my reel, but that generally doesn''t get a response, so I figured there was something obvious that I was missing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement