🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Voice Editing: Burning mage

Started by
3 comments, last by SA-Magic 21 years, 7 months ago
I''m currently attempting to sound like a magically-burning mage (Inspired by Ignus of Planescape: Torment) of sorts - I''m looking to edit my voice to sound ''fiery'' (Use your imagination . Through using Goldwave, Cool Edit or Sound Forge, does anyone have any tips to do this?
Advertisement
Would a vocoder work?

A vocoder is basicly a thing which basicly takes two waveforms and does some nifty stuff with it. They use a sine-wave sort of hum and overlay it with a voice to generate a robot/computer sounding voice. I''d suggest (but havn''t tried it) that it would work by using a fire sound and overlaying it with the voice.

AnalougeX has a vocoder, unfortunatly, it does not work live, you must record to a wave and then do it. I can''t remember the site, something like analougex.com, otherwise google for it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

Noted.

Ignus is mostly just good voice acting (Speaking all sinisterly and a lower version of Emperor Palpatine-like) with fire in the background. I''m looking for something more unique, like the amazingly edited Dark Archon from StarCraft (Sample).
Hey SA-Magic,

I sent you an e-mail with some examples attached of one way to achieve a similar effect...

Try and listen closely to what is going on in the original. I hear several different voices, not just in length (they all finish at different times!) but also in pitch.

Finishing at different times would sound a bit weird if just one person/being was meant to be saying it, so pitch shifting whilst maintaining length and remixing with the original recording should get you the desired effect. You can mix together as many different voices as you want, but beware of intelligibility! Once you''ve done this you can apply more effects and see what happens?!!

Kenbar
I hope you didn''t send it to my Joymail address, as they closed down a month ago. If you did, use ben.brown@talk21.com, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement