🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how to let random built music beautiful

Started by
1 comment, last by OhMyDog 21 years, 7 months ago
In some very little demo programs, the background music is not a midi format (maybe, i think), but a randomly produced by computer, following some rules. (also my own guess) I want to know how to built such a program, and what''s the rules. where can i found such source code, or how can i found relative topics by google, using keyword "music synthesis"? what I want to program is using some parameters to contral the playing of this music. when parameters change, the cantus also changes.
Advertisement
I'll assume you are talking about 4k and 64k intros here. Actually, the way that the music is generated is generally done using a highly compressed midi type stream with a sample generator. The sample generator gives huge savings as instead of having to store a huge wav file for a sample you can generate one using a few instructions.

There is a ton of resources out there for DSP (digital signal processing) which is very much related to sample generation. A good source of info is http://www.musicdsp.org.

[edited by - premandrake on November 25, 2002 11:12:23 PM]
Try Microsoft''s Direct Music Producer. You can set up rules with that program and it will generate music based on those rules.

dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement