🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How not to make cliches

Started by
12 comments, last by sabin1 21 years, 7 months ago
You guys are a big help to me!!Right now(in an answer to sunandshadow)I'm just starting out in programming(C/C++),then off to learn opengl and directx.So While learning this, I want to start developing and creating a game world ready for the player. My first foray into making a game(a serious developed game) will more then likely be a FPS, that way I have alot of freedom and become the storyteller to the player. So by the time I'm ready to program my story will be developed, all I have to do is craft the world around it. This will take months and I'll be lucky if I can start this project anytime soon(Still in high school and finals for first semester are almost starting).Well after giving you my life story, hope you aren't to bored:-)!Again you guys are a big help and a successful programmer only limits himself if he doesn't understand every process in making a game.

[edited by - Sabin1 on December 2, 2002 10:43:23 PM]
Advertisement
Ok at this point I know I''m going to make a FPS(just as soon as I get those C/C++ books for christmas!!), but where do you focus the story? On the character? While it shows the players achievments, it''s a cheap thrill, since it only explores this character. No, I want something deeper, not some Duke Nukem mix. More like half-life, where the character is voiceless and it explores the atmosphere and tension of Black Mesa. That''s what hooks the player, at least that''s what I believe. Whats your opinion on this? How do you keep the player involved in a fps and still keep them wanting more?

Sabin1
I would say that in a FPS the focus of the story would be on WHY the player is shooting things. Who is the player character? Why does he/she feel morally justified in shooting all the whatever-they-ares? How does shooting them improve the player character''s situation or world? What would the whatevers do if you didn''t shoot them? Do your friends and society agree that these things ought to be shot, or do they oppose your action?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote: Original post by sunandshadow
Original post by adventuredesign
rewrite your existing stuff over and over until by force of change it becomes something lacking part of all those cliche''s and mediums, and becomes a synthesis of them.

I agree with this in sentiment, although I would change the word ''rewrite'' to ''rethink''.

At that point in the process, technique is not a signficant consideration, what is important is that you process the approach to the material.

Is the final story cliche? I don''t think so, and neither do my co-writer or my co-artist, and that''s good enough for me.

It''s hard to avoid cliche, which is why cache (the non technical definition) is just around the bend from it – usually just a few drafts (or even a few cognitive sessions) past it. I can hardly think of any story out there that did not enjoy massive reworking (perhaps with the exception of some of the great works which were driven by inspiration rather than engagement and artistic discipline, and even then the editor eventually got ahold of them and rewrote section under the guise of editing, but we all know the difference between copyediting and editing hopefully), which is why I say ''writing is rewriting'' and I make no distinction personally when I am either composing in my head or rewording on paper; an evolution of the material from it''s former state is the result in both instances.

When selling screenplays, the distant cousin to this art form, cache will keep them from saying no until there is no reason not to say yes.

The bottom line here is that enlightenment doesn''t care how you get there, and your job in this computer entertainment business is relatively the same as if you were in the entertainment business pura: entertain, educate and enlighten.

Thas mah tu cenz

Addy

p.s. If it helps, if you can write well, and actually enjoy doing it; you have a permanent creative interprative skills subset adaptable to any other discipline, but the reverse is not true – photoshop or max or maya skills will not make you a better writer.

[edited by - sunandshadow on December 1, 2002 1:22:23 PM]

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement