🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MOD

Started by
3 comments, last by XvDragonvX 21 years, 7 months ago
what do you guys think of MOD music in games?
-----------------------Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?------Edgar Allan Poe
Advertisement
I think it''s a fine way to implement middle to high quality music in a game. You will hear heated debates wherein people will tell you there is no purpose behind MODs any more as MIDI''s flexibility increases, but at that point it really comes down to taste and the ability of your composer.
The various MOD formats present you with a nice way to deal with special triggers and such, by writing in your own effects to the file, etc, and most of the middleware sound engines fully support MOD formats anyway, so it is quite up to you.
quote: Original post by krikkit
I think it''s a fine way to implement middle to high quality music in a game. You will hear heated debates wherein people will tell you there is no purpose behind MODs any more as MIDI''s flexibility increases, but at that point it really comes down to taste and the ability of your composer.
The various MOD formats present you with a nice way to deal with special triggers and such, by writing in your own effects to the file, etc, and most of the middleware sound engines fully support MOD formats anyway, so it is quite up to you.

I was planning on using it for the game I''m creating anyway, I just wanted to get someones opinion on how good it is. I''ve heard some really good things about it too.
-----------------------Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?------Edgar Allan Poe
Well, a MOD song is as good as you make it. Higher sample quality, more variety of samples(ie, multisampled instruments, as opposed to one sample for your entire guitar track for instance) make for very high quality music when paired with an intimate knowledge of your MOD format and your tracker(utilizing effects and good tracking style.) Of course, the file becomes proportionately large at that point, so at a certain point you may as well export it to .wav and convert to MP3.

An interesting thing, the BASS audio engine(www.un4seen.com) supports an interesting format called .mo3, which allows you to have your samples compressed within your mod file, if I remember correctly.
Can''t complain. Keeps me in business

All the music on my page is Tracked .. with some tracker or other.

Audio Artist
www.GroovyAudio.com
Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement