🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

French Horn

Started by
6 comments, last by Ganryu 21 years, 6 months ago
This was the only place i could think of where i might get an answer to this question that has plagued my mind for quite some time. How long can you hold a note on a french horn before getting out of breath? I''m after an average here.
Advertisement
Like almost any instrument, it kind of depends on how loud you play, how high you play in the register, and how much breath you had before getting to that note (having lost breath from playing other notes). With lungs full of air and at a decent volume, I could play an F for a good 10-12 seconds.
thats it?? ten to twelve seconds?

i practice long tones for twelve seconds, going from pp to ff to pp, with a tuner. im sure twelve seconds is more than easily achievable for a single note without volume changes.

and if you play it quietly, its even easier...

lemme go try, be right back (not that you would know the difference)

okay, for a low concert f (in the bass clef), 12 seconds.

for a middle concert f (one ledger line below the treble clef), 30 seconds

for one octave up (middle of the treble clef) 35 seconds.

i guess thats about average. im sure a navy seal could do better.

-geo

[edited by - redeyegames on December 18, 2002 9:05:45 PM]
-geoYou have achieved victory by DOMINATING THE WORLD.
I''ve never believed that being able to hold a note for a long time is a sign of being able to play several phrases in a single breath, especially if those phrases often changed in dynamics. The horn is not my main instrument anyway, so much of my being able to sustain a note comes from years and years of playing the clarinet. Now that''s an instrument that can hold a note for a good 45-60 seconds in a single breath.
definitely, sil. i was just surprised. i agree, it doesnt mean much in actual music, unless you get a really long fermata or something. french horn is my main insturment, but im only in high school.

of course, if you''re kenny g and enjoy circular breathing for recreation, you can hold a note (Bb?) for 45 minutes on sax. very boring. of course, its very boring when he changes notes, too.

-geoYou have achieved victory by DOMINATING THE WORLD.
I can hold a roll for hours

and now im out before you go break my sticks.
With a MIDI synth, I can hold a note indefinitely

Sorry I couldn''t resist.
Normally, an average is about 20 seconds. Sometimes it''s longer of shorter depending on volume. Nice mezzo-forte, probably about 15-30 seconds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement