🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can a non musician make or learn music and with program?

Started by
13 comments, last by Warsong 21 years, 6 months ago
Teacher?
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
I have played piano for seven years (still pretty bad ), so I think I could be called a musician. I have never used a music program, but I don''t think you could be a musician without knowing how to play an instrument. You should at least know the whole music ''format'' to make songs on the computer. I''m sure you could make music on the computer with just knowing the music ''format'', but I don''t know how youd get input for your music. Unless, of course, you''re making techno .

"I''ve discovered a trend. Every time I read a topic heading and say "Jeez... what kind of meathead came up with that?", I always seem to find Warsong''s elendil''s name one column over."
- InnocuousFox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flamebait of the week club! This weeks flamebait:
YOUR BIBLE IS FULL OF LIES!

[  c o d e  m a t r i x  ]
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Techno can be quite good in the hands of a decent musician.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

quote: Original post by elendil67
"I''ve discovered a trend. Every time I read a topic heading and say "Jeez... what kind of meathead came up with that?", I always seem to find Warsong''s elendil''s name one column over."
- InnocuousFox

LOL IFox hates to read my posts but he always seems to come in. lol i guess he wants a good laugh

Also why do u say the bible is full of lies? or maybe i should post in the lougne about it.

Funny i post in the music forum but where are the musicians to post lol. Techno is always nice since instramental isnt political to have people saying junk like where is my baby or the cops are this and that or living la vita something.

I am sleepy and slopy now but never drunk zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Acid pro is an excellent tool for creating music. But you also have to be careful, as it''s very easy to create the same boring song as everyone else. But with some tinkering you can create some really quality music. Acid is atleast a very good place to begin learning music, because you can start creating something really cool very quickly.

Many musicians hate acid because newbie hacks can quickly write garbage and claim it''s the greatest thing since sliced bread. But don''t buy into that too much, that''s the musicians fault, not the tool. I use it to prototype the music I write, and it''s amazing.

I''d recommed atleast checking it out. Groups like "The Crystal Method" use it, so at the very least you know it CAN be used to create professional sounding music.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
If you wish to become a decent musician, you must take lessons from a teacher on an instrument such as the piano and practice for years on end. There''s no way around it.
I''d recommend learning music theory, at least some. It seems many people over look the benefit of knowing music theory.
quote: Original post by RedCrab
I''d recommend learning music theory, at least some. It seems many people over look the benefit of knowing music theory.

Is their a program that can help you learn music?

Also thanks for the info Shaft.
quote: Original post by Warsong
Is their a program that can help you learn music?

There are many books (and most likely programs as well) that can help you to learn how to play or write music, but there''s nothing that surpasses the instruction from a teacher using techniques that have been passed down for centuries. I can imagine how the non-musician programmer who has been able to master any language and graphic designing program would also perceive the musical aspect as “just another obstacle easily overcome in a few months time”, but if you want to play or write music well, you must take lessons from a professional or something to that extent. The notion of any program or book that could magically turn you into a musician in 21 days is ludicrous.

No, you were right with your first post. A teacher is needed.
To truly become a musician I think these guys are right, you will need lots of training and practice.

If you want to write a song for something specific, acid pro works well. I''m just a programmer but have become interested in the artistic side of game making (3d graphics, and music). Using acid pro, and a perfectionist attitude (don''t stop until its perfect) I was able to create some fairly decent music for what I''m trying to do. Probably not as good as what a trained musician might be able to create, but for my demo purposes what I created what fine. And it''s inspired me to get back into music (I played piano for 3 years, drums for 4).

So don''t get too disheartened by the talk that it requires years of hard work. Finding a cool tool like acid pro could make it years of FUN work.

SHould you decide to really get into music I recommend getting yourself a decent synth (I got a roland xp-30) and a sequencer (cakewalk or logic audio). It''s kind of an expensive investment but you enter the world of what real musicians use. And it''s a pretty fun hobby.

-Shaft
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement