🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game tracks

Started by
1 comment, last by danger_boy_13 21 years, 6 months ago
What would be the easiest way to string a bunch of songs together. We are programming a game and want to have radio stations similar to Grand theft auto 3. How would we go about doing so? What format? Any good programs? We were thinking of just stringing the songs together as an endless loop. Any ideas?
Until Then, I Remain,Brandon
Advertisement
well, for cutting and splicing songs, i use goldwave - the demo is free and works pretty well. but you only get 150 uses of the little play/stop/rw/ff box per session. so you just save and reopen. you can also do fades, lead ins, etc, which would be very nice for a radio station style track.

however, it might be worth it to do some of that with the programming so you dont have to be constantly reading such a huge file. just make the separate songs their own tracks and fade the volume in and out. try a different forum for that kind of help.

format? i wouldnt use .wav - way to big.
if you can, use a compressed format like mp3, even if you have to convert it in the programming. otherwise, you'll rack up a couple hundred meg and only have a few songs. which would get annoying to the poor player who has to listen to an endless loop of 4 songs.

oh - plus, with separate tracks you can randomize the order somewhat. you would have to put in some checks so you dont, for example, play the same song twice in a row, but if you end up with a limited number of songs, it isnt quite so boring.

Also check out the Federal Duck Stamp Site - my graphics!

[edited by - redeyegames on January 7, 2003 9:03:43 PM]
-geoYou have achieved victory by DOMINATING THE WORLD.
If you put all your tracks into one big file then your going to have to stream from disk as opposed to loading it all into memory. This is no problem so long as your audio coder can implement this.

One big linear music file is also pretty repetitive. Using a plethora of smaller files and playing them in a random, but non repeating, manner is a better idea. GTA3 is successful in this regard because of the shear number of audio files on the disk (around half the DVD on the PS2 version is audio!).

Variety is the spice of life!!

Intercutting your music tracks with adverts or station signature stings would add realism to your car radio.

My favorite in GTA3 is the talk radio station :o)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement