🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game ideas (hey, those are always fun to talk about :)

Started by
37 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 1 month ago
Sorry, I cannot post any game ideas I have, because they are either
a) lame.
b) I''m working on them, and I really don''t want anyone ripping them off before I''m done. Then feel free, because I''ll be releasing the source.

But I think your ideas are cool, the only thing is that Games Workshop really are harsh with copyright infringement on games that have any of the slightest resemblance to their products.

-Mezz
Advertisement
Paladin, I''m really interested in your idea of boy/girl life @ school game.

Playing real life sounds interesting to me, but I''ll surely add some other ideas in it...
But the idea of creating something like a manga with no violence is something i like very much.

Are you just thinking about it, or have you designed something ?

If you''ve got some time, maybe you can join my current project to add some of those elements in the game.

I''ve some projects know, so I can''t take one more, but as soon as one is finished, I''d love create a game based on your idea.

On my side I''m designing a CRPG, story already written, much paths (millions) to end the game, only five winning ending.
Some storyboards written, character designed (with words only), level design in the process, many ''monsters'' and NPC designed but attributes not build for the ingame engine.
RPG rules written and tested in pen&paper play, programmed using delphi OOpascal, rewritting using C++.
3D engine in design.

Most of the time I''ve story ideas rather than gameplay ideas or general ideas. (Bad thing)
Sometimes, I found a scene of life, a picture... very nice and I build something around.

Unfortunately it''s a long time since I haven''t got a real nice idea.
Maybe because I''m working on interesting projects, designing and refining them...

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Well, to be honest, I have thought of idea 1 as well!
As a matter of fact, I have started a freeware game (codenamed NetSC) which is also hugely inspired by games like Star Control 2 and Elite, but it''s an online game! Imagine a cross between Star control 2 and Elite, but then online.

Players would be able to gather minerals on planets, converse with eachother, buy upgrades for their ship, erect starbases, with the freedom of Elite! One thing Elite lacked a bit was a good nonlinear plot. In NetSC the plot is determined by the artifacts and conversations with NPC''s, and the universe is totally flexible. It is even so that the universe can be changed anytime by the owner of the game (the one who has created the universe), so it will become kinda like DMming.
Players are encouraged to cooperate, but they can also engage eachother in Melee battle. This is ofcourse entirely up to the player himself and is not regulated by the game.

The NetSC team has no control over the universe and plot. Everyone will be able to create his own universe, run a main game server and let people play in it. Ofcourse we will be running at least one standard universe, but in the end the best universes will be the most popular and will remain.

Star Control 2 is in my opinion the best game ever, . It has a really damn good plot, has humour, and the Melee is infinitely replayable. It is too bad Accolade kinda ruined it by wanting to do Star Control 3 way too soon for Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III, and they hired other people to do it. Many SC fans were dissapointed by this game, as it was not even close to the quality of SC2.
Currently Toys For Bob (as Fred and Paul currently work under at Crystal Dynamics) is trying to get the rights to the Star Control trademark back from Accolade (which is now Infogrames), to make another Star Control.
*Angelfish*, my nick, is orzese btw

Why 2d and not 3d? Well, this discussion might tell you why.
It is about a question Paul Reiche III (the designer of Star Control I and II) asked to the SC community a while ago, asking how to translate SC2 melee to 3d.
http://www.star-control.com/forum/index.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1&forum=DCForumID4&omm=0

Also if you liked Star Control 2, like me and want to help getting Star Control back to Toys For Bob, please sign the petition, also at
www.star-control.com/petition

The game you''ve just talk about exist Angelfish.
It''s in full 3d online persistent and called ''Mankind''.

You can check the web site http://www.mankind.net
I think the web site is not very nice cause the game is in permanent dev and the dev crew has no time with the web site.

Many people enjoy it.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Sounds exciting! This Mankind, I mean...
How are there players if the game isn''t promoted at all?
What kind of features does it have?

-Paladin

Paladin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUMBER 2

Man, I''ve been wanting to do exactly that ever since middle school. I think the best way to handle movement/shooting/etc, would be to use a radius/diameter type graphic overlay to show players limitation.
Paladin - Im sorry to say so, but your Band simulator has already been done. I remeber having played something like this on my old Amiga. Complete with graphic, music, economic aspects and so on.

It was much like football management games, buy and sells start to your band, buy better studios and release records and receive awards and so on.

Regards

nicba
Ofcourse it has been done, because I have played it also on PC (except that it was so called "joke game", that finnish wanna-be-coders do !

So was the (more commercial?) Amiga version any good?

Anonymous Poster: Yap, thats what I have been thinking about... Modelling the game so that every inch from real world would be as long at screen... might be kind of cool thing to do, but I'm so lazy

Edited by - Paladin on May 10, 2000 9:36:41 PM

Paladin, I was the Anonymous Poster. I reeeally like the idea of a W40K game. I''m giving Warcraft3 a strong look as a possible engine to due a MOD on. Although I''m not sure after the changes in gameplay.But I think a W40K mod based in RT using the isometric 3D view provided with Warcraft3 would be a great starting point. Especially with the ''Hero Model'' that Blizzard is considering for special characters.

I seems to me that good (an previously unpublished) ideas are scarse.

Is that because we can`t come up with anything new or because everyone is hoarding his/her original and groundbreaking new concepts.

My opinion is that, especially as wannabes (about 85% of all of us) you are better off not trying too hard to do something new and revolutionary. Go with a tried concept and do your best to make it look good. Like 2d shooters for instance. No one wants a revolution. They are all mostly alike but still fun to play. One or two new ideas is enough for something that is good the way it was originally.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement