🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character creation

Started by
12 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
I am looking to create a reusable main character in an adventure game, one that I can create a possible series around. My problem is I want to create some history for this character, but I am unsure of how to portray his history in the game. Do I use an opening scene or the beginning of the game? OR Do I unfold the history as the game progresses? Is there a preferred method? Shinzo
Advertisement
Personally I would say that unfolding it durring the beginning, or a mixture of the 2 are the best choices, I beleive this for 2 reasons,

1) if the characters history is important enough to create then you really want the character to know what it is, if you put it in a introduction scene, some people are going to want to skip it and just start playing.. so you don''t always get the full message across

2) its much more interesting to play out a little script then it is to just watch a little movie, in the script you might need to just walk across the room and get a book or something, but atleast you have things to do..

What I like is to start with a section where you need to follow instructions and just learn the controls, this is also a great time to tell the player some interesting facts about the characters history..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
My two cp''s: I always enjoy a little opening movie sequence before starting the actual game. However, I don''t like reading a text story, eg. Icewind Dale.

Depending on available resources, unfolding the introduction in-game is probably the more feasible way. ^_^
I prefer the start movie approach, because it means that after I''ve seen it once, I don''t have to keep doing it over and over and over again...

Of course, if you''re not going for replayability, then my complaint is a moot point...

Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
The truth is, it really depends on the story and setup of a game. For example, if you are creating, say a story in which the main character is a vagabond escaping from the clutches of an Intergalactic Star Empire, perhaps it may increase the suspense and interest of the story to start with no information about the main character and slowly learn of his dark past over time. Besides, such backstory could not possibly be covered in depth in a 2 minute video. A more cliche form in which the slow development would be better is, of course, in the case of an amnesiac hero or heroine. (We''ve all seen that a million times, though.)

On the other hand, a video might be nice if the backstory is simple, mundane, short or can be summed up in a single battle sequence. Also, if the player is already familiar with the genre (a.k.a. a liscensed game), they don''t need mounds of spurious exposition as the game will likely draw from the world that fans are already familiar with.

Whichever you choose, don''t feel limited by those two choices. You could, for example, reveal the story optionally, by having the player find ''story pieces,'' each one revealing a different aspect of the players backstory.

Good luck.
-"You've lost your marbles."-"Look! There they are!"
quote: Original post by shinzo
I am looking to create a reusable main character in an adventure game, one that I can create a possible series around.

Well, heck, if you''re building a series, why not make the first game the backstory? Far and away the best example of serial characters can be found in comic books. Give him a super-generic backstory, like this one:

Born middle-class, decent grades, stayed out of trouble, didn''t do any drugs. Then throw in a twist, like getting into (or invited to) a prestigious military academy despite having a less than stellar resumé. He gets in, does better than he expected, comes out a Lieutenant, and starts a career in the Colonial Marine Corps. Game starts here.

A few levels of hard work and dedication, proving his mettle, then the plot kicks in. Conspiracy theories, shadowy figures, strange occurances, unexpected successes. End of the game, he''s got some kind of super powers/incredible skills/technological advantages, a pretty good idea of why he has them, and a reason to use them to a given end. Sort of like any comic book hero''s backstory. Look at Batman: Year One or Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (Both Frank Miller, both excellent) for some examples.

After that, you can have an indefinite number of games following this quest, like a serial comic. New nemeses, allies, settings, plot devices, and psychological gimmicks can give you decades'' worth of material.

So use a three-minute intro flick/slide show/text scroll at the beginning, then thirty-second cutscenes or informative load screens between levels, and get the player up to speed without wasting a lot of their time or making them invest in eight years of backstory on a character they don''t yet care about. I hate it when my character says, "You!? It CAN''T be!" and I have no damn clue who that guy is.

Good writing justifies itself, but good presentation justifies crappy writing. Get both, and you''ll actually make money with it.
When I read your post, I immediately knew that you are making an RPG. (You are, right??) Anyways, I beleive that slowly unfolding the story throughout the game would be a good idea, kind of like they did in Xenosaga (although using cinema scenes as long as they did is DEFINITELY a bad idea). Oh, and I like it when my character says, "You!? It CAN''T be!" and I have no damn clue who that guy is, as long as you are NOT supposed to know who that guy is. Part of a great story is not knowing so much about what is going on. It''s like a mystery novel, with all of the plot twists and stuff.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Now I love my movies and enjoy reading, however when it comes to a pixellated screen I''d rather watch a movie - so long as it''s interested. Make sure you incorporate the information in an interesting way rather than just say it. It would be good to slowly develop it, maybe you could have a trouble past that propels the plot, a good plot always for me makes an involving game - so long as it''s good.
In my game I wrote a brief timeline to understand me characters but the majority of information will not be revealed, just things that are there but you never notice.

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
Hell DO NOT USE THE SECOND METHOD (slowly unfolds the background)

it may sounds good but think about baldur''s gate2, how many people dissapointed and left the game at the beginning because they think its lack of story?

or think this way, RPG stand for role playing game, what is it mean by role playing? u play a character, u are that character, or that character represent u. if u dont even know ur self, ur past, how do u role play????

another point, different attitude of the main character, if the character has no background, u can play evil or good as u like, but then suddenly u find that u are ment to play good in ths game and stuff up the game.

sure u can do that ur main character lost memory in the beginning of the game, but isnt it too old? just like primary school kid wrote "i woke up from my dream" as the final parragraph for their homework.

the best way, from my experience is start the game with with clearly identified the ROLE of main characters, for example, ur female character is a princess, and a cleric, then who every plays the game will clearly see that u are going to play good side. have scenery at the beginning of the game is VERY necessary, if u are going for RPG, then making some simple dialogue to imply what kind of the person u are playing. afterwards, u should gain control, (remember force people to play tutorial) when u gain control, u are in a simple control tutorial, with instructor/teacher. with further more dialogue.

i hope im not too late to inform u, other wise, ur game will be very boring at the start
Slowly unfolding the story is a good method, as long as you do it right. You have to make references to the backstory so that the person playing the game knows that there is a backstory. Slowly give away information bit by bit so that they are always curious, always wondering, "what happened in he past?" This "hooks" the person playing the game, so that he will keep playing. This is especially important if you want to make a series.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement