🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character creation

Started by
12 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
unfortunatly, slowly unfolds doesnt work well, read my post!!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Panzooka

or think this way, RPG stand for role playing game, what is it mean by role playing? u play a character, u are that character, or that character represent u. if u dont even know ur self, ur past, how do u role play????
i hope im not too late to inform u, other wise, ur game will be very boring at the start

Many sucessful motion picture movies can quickly hook the viewer to the main character without knowing anything about his or her past. Movie plotlines often go the slowly unfolding method, and make up for the slow story developement by beginning with a flash, or creating a short story to start the longer one. For example, if your game is about, yet again, a vagabond who has amnesia and his pretentious past is unknown both to the character and the player, the designer can draw people in by beginning the game as an violent escape from the clutches of the enemy. Later, the more interesting elements of the story can surface.

(Ironically, this is how BG2 begins, seeming to make up for the lack of draw the BG1 story had.)

This is my favorite method of story development.
-"You've lost your marbles."-"Look! There they are!"
i understand, but look how golden sun2 has done, a simple interlude covers golden sun 1, gives the player an idea what he is playing for.

also, baldur's gate2 is successful because it was developed by well known company, and published by one of the famouse publisher, it is garranteed sale, with all the advertisment, and promotions. Player will continue playing even he didnt like the starting of the game, because the game has cost their money to buy; so much advertisment tells how good it is etc. with those reasons, u will want to continue playing.

however with this project, of course its small scale, and most likely he will release it as a freeware. if the game did not gain players interest at the start, then the player will simply left the game because its totaly free, and has no or very minium promotions.

for example. watching movie. think this way: u were told that this movie was good, u go watch the movie, u paid $10. the start of the movie is really boring. because u were told the movie was good, so u wanna watch it to see if its good or not, u also paid money, so u want to keep watching, afterwards, the story is making sense to u, because u know the main character more, u start to like it.

another example. watch TV. u sat down infront of the TV on monday night, browse through the channels and found a old movie u never watched just begin, u watch it and find its boring, u turn to another channel to see if there are better programs to watch.

[edited by - panzooka on April 30, 2003 3:19:06 AM]
Some excellent replies, its great to see conflicting ideas & opinions, it makes you want to accomadate for all.

Typically I am starting with the game history in a cut scene set in the 1400''s, then continuing with the introduction of the character, in present day. Combining a link between to 2 and opening the game.

The plot thickens.

Shinzo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement