🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Enchanted Weapons Soapbox

Started by
50 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 12 months ago
Ernest Adams. That man knows what I''m on about. C''mon people. How the hell can you make sense out of buying an ENCHANTED OR MAGICAL ITEM, at a shop? How did the shop get these items? Aren''t they supposed to be made by demonic wizards as gifts for long dead kings who performed great deeds of valor? Why is every damn character in every game toting these things aroung like they''re as common as dental floss... or worse, STARBUCKS?? I pose the question to you: What exactly would happen if you made a fantasy setting with NO magical items? None! None to speak of! It''ll be quite a show. "The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
*grins* I hate magic anyway, I''d much rather see a world with no magic to speak of.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
One thing that does come to mind though, will it really be a fantasy setting if there is no magic in the world? It will be hard to explain the monsters and such.
I''m trying to think of fantasy novels without magic, and I really can''t think of one right now.

Perhaps "historical" would be a better description for a setting like that.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Well, I think a good idea would be to make a world where magic exists and you can get your hands on magic items, although they are extremely rare and difficult to get (only after you have done something truely great or so); but the trick is, you can''t do magic yourself; you are only allowed to watch others cast spells (magic-users should be very rare too, but also very powerful) and maybe use some of your extremely valuable magic items. This way, magic would remain mysterious and strange. I mean, c''mon, it really kills the mystery of magic if you press it into a rulesystem and cast one magic missile + 3 after the other; so, let''s just not do it! Maybe at the maximum you could have a wizard as a companion who casts a spell from time to time, but then you should make the magicsystem as complicated as possible so that the player can''t "figure it out" and the mystery is destroyed again.
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
What is a fantasy game without magic I say. Indeed, when anyone says the word Fantasy one of the first things to be conjured up in the mind is of a MACIGAL place.

Fantasy and magic have gone hand in hand for far before we (you and me) ever graced this planet.

I agree with the fact that a magical weapon should not be in a shop UNLESS someone stole or found it without knowing what it was and then sold it?

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
Magic and Magic Items are useful tools you can employ too add to the depth and richness of a fantasy world if used in the right way and proportions.

One of the best uses of this, if you follow the advice of the authors, is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Not Battle the two are different. The best magic Item you can hope to lay your hands upon is a magic sword offering a +10% chance to hit, and that is powerful. That world does have people makeing magic items all the time but that is more for comedy value. If you read the new Marineburg suppliment the is a whole shop that makes magic items, but most of there wares are itmes like bed pans that always smell of lavender. And even then they cost a small fortune and are little more than trinkets for the merchants and nobles.

It does depend upon how you design your game. You make magic as common place as running water is in our world what mystery does it hold. You make magic items so rare that even the simplest item will give your character an edge but will no make him/her a god. The same applies to mages make learning spells an adventure in itself dont just buy a scroll and mesmerise it make the mage work for his knowlage.

Any way I''ve ranted for long enough.
The idea that we shouldn't have magical items in shops is pretty good. Of course, it could have come into the shopkeeper's hands by accident, but I wouldn't advise that.

I think magical weapons should be given as rewards for great quests and adventures. And they should be more powerful (Daikatana-like sword).

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

Edited by - DarkMage139 on June 29, 2000 8:41:12 AM
- DarkMage139
Don''t know about the rewards thing, maybe if completeing some great task. In my mind a magical weapon must be gained by completing a difficult task or subplot.

You know, like having to kill a great dragon or similar?

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
Landfish :
Any good GM designing his world think about that and everything else you talk about in the last posts.

Yes we do care of what we include, we think about economic, magic, creatures, gods and what they do to the world, climat, geographics, ...

We design countries with speciality, as in the real world Italy was known for its famous armors.

We even think of changing the most valuable ressource, such as replacing gold by iron in Dragonlance...

What level of magic why, is it common how do people react when seeing magic...

Food chain and Power Chain (You know rabbit eats grass... and dragon controls evil creature like orcs but are target of the trolls...)

Anyone creating a world should take care of those elements and many more.

Edited by - Ingenu on June 29, 2000 9:09:30 AM
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
A game without magical weapons. Well, I think 90 percent of modern Final Fantasy players {the ones that bought it because of the FMV} wouldn''t touch it with a 50 foot pole of All Stats +10.

Seriously, though, I think being able to waltz into any store and buy one is ludicrous {just look at the latest Might and Magics.} Besides, aren''t these magical items supposed to be in a temple or guild?

Anyone remember the Authurian legeng? Cool sword, but only one person could take it. And what about The Hobbit? Not only did he have to face a dragon to get the ring of invisibility, later he found out it also had some nasty consequences. He''d shudder {or get really ticked} if he ever saw some one walk in to a store and say, "Yeah. I''d like that Ring of Stealth with 0 percent Consequences. No, not the red one. The blue one! Dear god, man! Can''t you see that red clashes with my wardrobe!"

---Sonic Silicon---

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement