🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Ending...

Started by
21 comments, last by Hardguy 23 years, 10 months ago
My favorite game ending currently is that of Phantasy Star II. After solving most of the mysteries, learning how to get to Mother Brain, the super computer that is the source of this evil, defeating the incarnation of pure evil that made it insane, and then destroying the machine to end the plague of monsters, the heros are faced with the unexpected revelation that earthlings, having already destroyed their own home and jealous of the happy world they found in the hero''s world, were part of the cause, and determined to destroy what they couldn''t have. The game ended with the party of heros banded together in an obviously futile attempt to fight off the army of earthlings. A few rather cool still shots, and some battle quotes that managed to still be fairly cool after translation, and then... nothing. It simply doesn''t tell you if they overcame the odds, or not. At least, not until the sequels...
Advertisement
I don''t know what is my favourite ending, but I know that Starcraft:brood wars had a very interesting ending, and it all made sense! I mean it wasnt that the terran or zerg or protoss got destroyed, they all survived! thats the happy part. But the sad part was that the zergs won it all (because they were somewhat evil). So what i''m saying is that a good ending is an ending which is mixed with a happy ending and a bad ending.
BTW. starcraft''s story got really screwed when it said the terran were from earth. Now that was just stupid that they never mentioned earth in the original starcraft.
-Bloodat
trust me
quote: Original post by Aversion

Actually v2.0, it is very interesting to analyze just WHAT you remembered from any given game. For example:

Unreal: Nuffin. Everything was soo bland.

What????!!?!?! "Headshot!" "Godlike!!!!" "Unstoppable!!!!!!!!"

Or were you talking about the first Unreal?

quote: Original post by pacman

And don''t ruin a good game with a bunk ending, please (Fallout 1).

"What do you mean I have to leave? DO YOU SEE THIS MAN-SIZED CHAINGUN IN MY HAND?????"

Uhhh, do you see that smokin'' cool armored platform with double chainguns the vault leader is sitting in????

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Ok, off topic a little, but it''s not like he could chase you around the complex in that thing. If you just avoid that room, who else is gonna stop you? If I remember correctly, you talk to him, then it''s the cinematic, right? LET US PLAY IT OUT!
"I don''t want to leave, and I''m prepared to kill everyone here if I have to!"

Ok, on topic, Raskell, I agree that good endings are usually extensions of good stories, but I think the gripe was when there is a good story, and you''re left with the NES Karnov ending(if you don''t know what I mean, see my first post).

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
There''s a great adventure game called Reah : Face the Unknown.The ending is SO cool.Has anyone played it ?

I thought the Fallout ending was GREAT.I liked the idea that you could kill the Overseer (it only happens if you''ve killed an "innocent" NPC, though).

The ending in Phantasy Star IV was not "bad", but I liked it - it was touching because I liked the characters (especially Rune).

Error #78FU : No mouse driver installed.Click left mouse button to continue...
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.

Dreamweb (by Empire, if I recall) had a nice ending. Spoiling it: "the hero", Ryan, who had just somewhat saved the world got shot by the police. Justice -- in order to win the game (an adveture game) you had to kill the bad guys.

And then in the very end of the game there''s this strange note, a piece of paper coming out of a slot-machine beside Ryan''s dead body. The note drops over the body and.. fade out.

I love it when they leave things kinda open or don''t explain everything. Oh and I hate the "too happy endings too". Braveheart (the movie) had quite a nice ending. Reservoir Dogs was also nice.
I see alot of the posts have been refering to the end of a movie. I do not see that as truely being relovant, you do not work your way through a movie, or a book for that. A game is more then that and when I play for hours I want a satisfing ending. I for one know a few games the ending sucked....X-com 2 comes to mind (course that game completely sucked) but getting to the final mission and you can''t kill the final alien just make him sleep and there isn''t even an ending movie. I do love the idea of an interactive ending but I have yet to see that.
I think an ending should have meaning if not then at least something that makes you think. Like Twilight Zone, X-Files, Saving Private Ryan, Halflife. I think Aliens was a good movie but the ending was crapola just for example. Well that''s me anyhow.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I really agree with St_Shadow. When you have worked your way through a game you want to be rewarded. When I finnished half-life I thought that would see some really cool scripted scenes but you just talk to a guy and then see some text.
I really like the ending in Final Fantasy 7, a long and very cool computer animated sequence.
When I finnsh the a game I like to just sit back relax and think
"Damn I''m good...". I don''t want to look at the screen and and see my hero die...It feels like all work for nothing....

But then again, it is very boring with classic happy endings....I think you should make mix or something...but how do you do that?

-------
Me Hardguy.
and here is my game...
I still say make the player play through the ending. That''s the only way to go. That, and a really kickass movie. Of course, the movie will have to be based on what the player does in the ending... or maybe a movie, then the playable ending.

I dunno, I guess it depends on the story.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement