🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What makes characters cool/fun?

Started by
15 comments, last by sunandshadow 23 years, 10 months ago
Child scenes and character-determining events - well, they are a useful way to tell the player who the characters are, but they can be misused. The idea that the character was Joe Average until event X happened, after which he became the sadistic badguy - well, it just doesn''t work with current theory about personality. I assume we''d like to have believable characters, right? Think about yourself. Being a member of gamedev, chances are there are some ways that you are wierd. Now think about your childhood. Did you suddenly become wierd, or have you been that way, more or less, as long as you can remember? The latter is true for me.

So essentially, the good way to use child scenes is to convey expositon and exemplify the personality the child already has, or influenced the child''s way of looking at things; not to say that the event created the child''s personality.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
This reminds me. Has anyone ever heard of the book "Central Casting" or something like that (Casting Call?) You roll a bunch of times for your history. They had some interesting events that could help determine your present motivation. The books gone out of print, tho'', and I haven''t been able to find copies.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Wavinator

Has anyone ever heard of the book "Central Casting" or something like that (Casting Call?)

www.borders.com has a special-order listing for _Central_Casting_One:_Heroes_of_Legend_. Is that what you were thinking of?

(I used www.bookfinder.com to locate it.)

Edited by - sunandshadow on August 21, 2000 4:55:42 PM

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

For me, a character has to have a bit of badassness about them. I can''t stand goodie goodie characters, they make me sick. Must kill goodie goodies (Not the "Goodies" though, there an exception).

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
You''re right.Imagine :
The bad guy is hanging from a cliff.Good guy is standing on the cliff.The cliche scene would be the hero trying to help the bad guy, the bad guy trying to kill the hero and the bad guy falling from the cliff.Wouldn''t it be cooler if went like this :
BAD GUY : help me, help me
HERO : Kiss my a**
Hero kicks bad guy in the face.
Of course this doesn''t fit into my game world (I''m too much of a pacifist, I guess) but it could be cool in another game.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I''d prefer it like this
GOOD GUY HANGING OFF CLIFF: Help me help me
BAD GUY GETS SUDDEN URGE TO BE NICE: ok, grab my hand
GOOD GUY GETS EVIL GRIN: (yank) pulls bad guy over the cliff
They both fall off but the bad guy has a parachute and laughs as the credits come up.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Since when did game design become about social philosophy? I'd like to see people design things that are more of games and less of interactive fiction.

I think games arn't an effective media to preach morality\philosophy. People hardly take the time to think about moral actions inside of a game. Mostly because they are irrelevant. You screw up, you start over. No regrets. Nothing.

If I want to reflect upon rantings of morality and philosophy ill read a book. I use games as a passive primitive way to relieve stress (Stress probably caused by contemplating morality and philosophy).

Edited by - Caffeine on August 21, 2000 12:05:19 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement