🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gameplay compromising Reality

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I don''t think it''s fair to call the design consistency issue laziness. I''m sure in some cases it is, but I''d think in most it''s due to the fact that design is untestable on the page! I mean, you can have proofreaders and good organization, but there''s no way to run a debugger on your design.

In many cases, anything beyond PacMan seems to beg for design bugs to crop up. The devil''s in the details, as they say. Just last night I discovered a design bug like that ("on page 16 is says radar is obsolete, but on page 36 one of the units is a radar tower!!!") If I were to do the equivalent in code, my program would crash!!!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
That''s true, Wavinator. It is unfair. And I''m not one to talk, as I''ve been too lazy to even get a single game up and running. So there you have it. But I would like to ask someone w/ more experience in direct game programming- is it that different than other OOP? It would seem that you can program an in-game object as, say, a C++ object, and it should behave the same way every time. I prefer the simple, elegant solution (rather than hacking out for weeks and weeks the properties of each window), and as far as I can see, this would work.

I''m not even talking about "atmosphere" or "story" gaffes here, like the radar example. Those, to me, are forgivable. Even Homer''s "Iliad" had these kind of inconsistencies. (in a few parts, he would kill off the same character several times in a single battle!) I''m talking more about gameplay issues, and the principle that a certain object in your game shouldn''t suddenly exhibit new behaviors that go totally unexplained.
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
I can understand the desire for more realistic elements in some games like a FPS. Let me put it like this though, when i''m scratching for idea''s that when i go back to realism grab a few bit and peices. But realism will always be there, its a lot harder to work out some new way of doing something in a game. I''m just getting fed up with this lazyness to rely of realism to make a game and then we''ll just chuck some storyline over the top like a blanket to cover up out lazyness. I mean, come one guys get a little creative. Think up some new idea rather than using magic or technology to explain something. Or some new type of universe. Make your own reality. You don''t have to explain everything if its going to be fun

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement