🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrenaline rush - rpg

Started by
21 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I was thinking of how an adrenaline rush could work in an rpg. If it was done with triggers like say your character gets adrenaline when they are surrounded by "X" amount of critters then maybe you will get an adrenaline rush causing unparrelled damage to your enemies. This would be a good form of powermaxing because firstly it wouldn''t be permanent which discourages unwanted game overs and secondly it would stop steep heirachial structures within the game and as a result promotes replayability. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
well, they did use adrenaline in Duke Nukem, but not with that affect. good idea, but brings up a few points like how to meter the amount of adrenaline.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
As i was thinking of it, the player wouldn''t see the adrenaline. Instead, in the heat of battle the game would alert the player that there character is going into an adrenaline rush. Once its started it wears off at a specified rate.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Isn''t this a kind of limit ?
like in FF, but remixed to seems much more logic.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Paul, if I can be the abstraction monster once again, is this what you are trying to do?

When in a seriously overmatched situation, grant the character a boost, so that for a short time he/she is on the same, or at least similar, technical level as the total of his/her assailants.

So basically, whenever the life of the character is in danger from an unfair situation, slightly correct the situation to give him/her a better chance of survival?

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.

Edited by - MadKeithV on August 30, 2000 10:54:22 AM
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: By MadKeithV
Paul, if I can be the abstraction monster once again,

I like your constructive criticism, although sometimes i want to scream

quote: By MadKeithV
So basically, whenever the life of the character is in danger from an unfair situation, slightly correct the situation to give him/her a better chance of survival?

Such a system would be an interesting way of - DM fiddles with dice because he put to many enemies in - mechanism. But i didn''t think of that. I just come up with idea''s and try to put them into some sort of workable game design element. So i''d have to say no by default to your question i guess. Don''t forget that i''m on a anti powermaxing mission from god

quote: By Ingenu
Isn''t this a kind of limit ?

Limits or No limits don''t dictate gameplay. Well that''s one of my rules of thumbs anyhow Yes, but it''s a flexible limit due to some other game elements that i''ve come up with :See thread "Health affecting Attributes" for more info. Also, i''ve never played FF so i wouldn''t know sorry.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I think Ingenu is talking about the "limit" attacks that characters can get when they are in a quite desperate situation in Final Fantasy 8. Basically, if you life drops really low, you are allowed to execute special attacks that deal much more damage than normal ones.
Basically, the system exists, and it''s a good idea.

Personnaly I love it. The real trick I guess would be to do something similar for more "rolistic" situation, like when you have to do a critical choice during a discussion. If the character is really good in some intellectual skill, he might give a hint ("I think we really should not insult the king")

Or were you only thinking about combat situations ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Haha. I was thinking about this myself. I''m toying with all sorts of cyberpunk body mods, and was thinking about "Enhanced Andrenal Gland" as being one of them.

In truth, you can get an adrenal boost whenever you feel you''re in danger. This doesn''t correspond exactly with being surrounded (although surrounded is a good). If you are drowning, or being choked to death by just 1 enemy, or you see someone you care about about to be harmed, you can get a boost.

Nevertheless, I think attaching HP to your boost would be great, especially if some animation and sfx came with it (a great war cry, for instance). If I use andrenal boost it will probably be a lot more obvious (ala the stimpacks in Starcraft), just because there are a lot of cases to handled that I''m too lazy to deal with.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
If you just come down from an adrenalin rush, you shouldn''t be back to your cheery self though. You should be drained and need to take it easy for a short time. In RL, if you get a huge adrenal surge, afterwards, you can barely move.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
The mundane word for this is called "stress"...
Usually because most of your energy has been burnt in the efforts, it''s not uncommon to see people pass out.
I can imagine the situation : you fight against a horde of wolves for the whole night, statying hardly awake, fighting constantly. When at last they vanish, you just collapse ...

I was just thinking it''s very similar to the aftershock you get after a trauma (such as a broken limb, a car crash, an aggression).
But then we come back to the issue I raised in the thread on health, where do we go too far in the little details that make realistic ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement