🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrenaline rush - rpg

Started by
21 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
I would think that a person would get an adrenaline rush every time they are involved in a fight where life and death are at stake. I don''t think I''d be any less pumped up to defend myself if I was fighting one person with a gun instead of 10. I think that since you would have an adrenaline rush in every battle, it would pretty much cancel out of the system.

But maybe you are talking about something slightly more than adrenaline? Something like a superstar athlete gets in a big game where they perform even better than usual? This would make sense in an RPG, I suppose. (after all, the player is supposed to be special and not just a sword wielding Joe Klein. )
Advertisement
I was thinking, adrenarine could do more than just make you strong. It could make you more alert and thus making you reflexs better and harder/impossible to hit. Think of Sir Lancalot, he wasn''t amazingly strong but he could evade brilliantly. If your character got an adrenaline charge that did different things would be neat. The player would go into battle with different results everytime. One time they get a strength charge next they get an alertness charge and then a attack charge (ability to hit). You could have a random adrenaline affects table going on in the back ground. Goblins and other nasties wouldn''t get adrenaline becasue of their inferior biology, they just get tougher asses.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
What adrenaline rush in RPGs is better than bezerk? The player runs into a frenzy lunatic. Bezerk should of course have its bad sides to, like being extremely tired after a fight.
Goblins only have inferior biology because of lazzy game designers. They are people too
I think even cats and dogs have adrenaline rush.
And remember that adrenaline + testosterone is a dangerous mix

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Inferior biology??? I''ll INFERIOR BIOLOGY you RIGHT in the nose .

What happens in games where you can also play goblins?

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

What happens in games where you can also play goblins?

Heh, this harkens back to the "Roleplaying as a nonhuman" thread. If goblins are green humans, the answer is nothing. But if they''re something different, then we''ve got some interesting things.

Imagine this: As a goblin, adrenaline kicks you into overdrive. Rage increases your attack while decreasing your defense; this happens every time you''re hit. For the next many minutes after the battle-- until it wears off-- you''re super aggressive. You suffer negative penalties on every NPC reaction, including those with any team-mates. You growl and screech uncontrollably, maybe even attracting other enemies (but you don''t care). Your strength increases, but your due to battle frenzy your intelligence drops. When it''s over, you need to eat lots of raw flesh to stabelize or you move at 1/2 speed.

(Yeah, it''s totally ad hoc, but I''m just trying to illustrate an nonhuman system...)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

Inferior biology??? I''ll INFERIOR BIOLOGY you RIGHT in the nose .

LOL, YEAH, inferior biology goblins are scum of the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and AND they have inferior biology that should be exploited by the character adrenarine rush. Punish Punish Punish Punish...

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Hmmm. I have been a little sus about this adrenaline rush idea, I seem to recall it being mentioned before in another thread, though it was more about the player experiencing adrenaline rush instead of their character.... hmmmm...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Found where I saw it, Real life realism in games!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
quote: By Wavinator
Imagine this: As a goblin, adrenaline kicks you into overdrive. Rage increases your attack while decreasing your defense; this happens every time you''re hit. For the next many minutes after the battle-- until it wears off-- you''re super aggressive. You suffer negative penalties on every NPC reaction, including those with any team-mates. You growl and screech uncontrollably, maybe even attracting other enemies (but you don''t care). Your strength increases, but your due to battle frenzy your intelligence drops. When it''s over, you need to eat lots of raw flesh to stabelize or you move at 1/2 speed.

Either way its used i still think the idea is useful. I heard that adrenaline can also majorly increase your thinking speed to everything slows down. That would be a niphty little affect to have as well when your character is triping on adrenaline.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement