🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

More DirectMusic problems...

Started by
0 comments, last by Ironblayde 23 years, 9 months ago
A friend of mine has been working on the MIDI music for my RPG, and while it all sounds fantastic when I play it back on my computer in a MIDI player, some of them sound awful when I load them into my game and play them back through DirectMusic. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really know next to nothing about DirectMusic, other than how to get MIDI files playing. But is DirectMusic using a different instrument set than my standard MIDI player? That would account for the different sound. But I searched my hard drive looking for .dls files, and there''s only the default gm.dls, which I believe DirectMusic uses, and a couple of others that my default player is obviously not using (included with FF8, and some DirectMusic samples). I tried looking through the .doc that came with the SDK, but I was having some trouble following it, and anyway, it was only talking about .dls files as instrument sets. Is there some other place that my system is hiding its default instruments? If so, can I somehow include them with my application so the music sounds the way it''s supposed to? If not, what accounts for the difference in sound between my standard player and DirectMusic? Thanks! -Ironblayde Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Advertisement
Direct Music has its own software synthesizer. That''s why it sounds different than midis. The only way I know of to learn about Producer is to just look through the built-in tutorial.

-Forcas
-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement