🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Time based production - rpg

Started by
3 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
Rather than having items become available on the basis of character growth, how would it be if you had a clock ticking in the background. New items would be made depending on the date and time with a bit of randomness thrown in to blur the edges. I''m thinking that this would probably support powermaxing if this idea''s was left "as is" upon implementation, not that that bothers me atm but i wanted to hear your opinions. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
interesting idea paul. having played almost every rpg know to man, i have found the idea that as you progress through diff. towns the weapons got better got a bit mundane and predictable. your idea at least gives unpredictablity and possibly aquiring new weapons that werent availible the first time you played through. definitely adds to replayability. if you can find a few other aspects that maintain fair gameplay as well as differing items i think it could turn out pretty cool. assuming of course that the games idea is really good
I didn''t actually spec the idea out as far as "not having every weapon in every game" but it sounds good regardless Thank you.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
what if I just turn the game on and walk away? Do I end up with the super armor of power? Also now what is the point of getting items from npcs/monsters? Are they better than the items that you accumulate? Or do monsters not have items and what issues would that cause? Seems like a small change with big ramifications.
If you leave the computer on and just walk away then you will fall behind the times just like in real-life. Npc''s and monster''s would be progressing and you would have to catch up, which would be hard depending on how long you left your computer running for. But all this comes down to working out how to do it, but i think it''s possible. And naturally if it couldn''t be worked out then we''d just have to go back to the old system.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement