🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Thought on Symbolism

Started by
2 comments, last by Anonymous Poster. 20 years, 7 months ago
Here''s a classic idea of how symbolism in a story works: (no idea who its originally attributed to) Jimbo (A) meets Damien (B) in a graveyard (C). Thereafter, (B) carries the subconscious qualities of (C). Now, Jimbo later meets Damien (B) in a rundown bar (D) outside of town. Now Damien (B) carries the qualities of both (C) and (D). Furthermore, the bar (D) carries a lesser hint of the graveyard (c), through the association with Damien (B). Lets say that Jimbo also sees a ratty calico alley cat (E) in this bar. This cat picks up the association of the bar (D) and Damien (B), plus lesser hints of the graveyard (c), though somewhat stronger than the bar''s, due to the double association. Now, lets say that much later in the story, Jimbo meets another alley cat (F), which, in the absence of major distinguishable characteristics, will carry the full value of the first cat (E). Therefore, the scene w/ the second alley cat (F) will carry associations of the bar(D), Damien(B), and a hint of the graveyard (c). The alley cat could be a goblet, a glove, a painting of a sad clown, whatever works in your setting. This example is necessarily simplistic. In a real story, there would be hundreds of these associations. The idea is that the resounding force of a novel''s climax is a direct result of a harmonious chain of associations coming full circle. Why do I bring this up? Because even if this system is imperfect, it is imminently programmable. I''d like to hear your thoughts. ^_^ If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Advertisement
Okay I won''t print my down-to-earth reply to that theory.

I''ve been thinking about Starting a debate on symbolism here, myself. Think about it.

I am not per se against symbolism, but I believe that if it is used it should only be used in certain instances where the meaning is worth adding, at least to those who can decipher what you are implying. I have no objections to adding even more layers of meaning to games so that astute people can pick up extra details, (not gameplay related). In the same way as Disney comedies (Pixar''s Toy Story / Dsny''s The Lion King), are enjoyable on a simple & fun level by kids, but have more historical & adult humour to cater to the adults.

1. People don''t necessarily know about it until they have had it explained to them. ie. May Pole can be seen as a quant custom to the uninitiated, to people with a phallic symbol used ....

2. Symbolism has to (generally) be a concious thing if you ask me (who does?), I mean the May Pole.

3. If the game is creating a living world, how can places be symbolic of anything ? - Symbolism implies that there is a DESIGNER who is giving IMPLIED meanings to places, actions etc. This would add to a fictional feel, and reduce the suspension of disbelief, ie. we know that there is a man behind the curtain.

4. Player Control The player may not want to have (sexual) symbolism shoved in their faces, because the way that they want their character to behave does not coincide with the symbolism that some designer is shoving in their face. Ie. Don''t go shoving mountains and towers into the background when the main character meets a girl. (But maybe if they decide to try and chat her up you could slowly add some to the game - Yuck. ie. Player choice dependant symbolism).

5. What does the symbolism mean?
Symbolism is very useful if the author of that symbolism is trying to get across a point such as in the book Billy Budd, by Herman Melvile (which we just read in English class). In BB, Melvile creates the characters of Billy, who represents pure, natural goodness, Claggart, who represents pure, natural evil, and captain Vere, who represents pure, unbiassed law. This sets up several things, such as what happens when good meets evil, the reaction of law, etc. The book was trying to say something about these various themes. However, if your story has a simple theme, which doesn''t need much symbolism (I fear if I put an example, someone will point out symbolism in it), it is best not to use much or any symbolism.

I think this is the symbolism of which you speak, although the example seems a bit odd. Could you elaberate a little on the above example, because it confuses me greatly.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
I''ll give this thread one more bump, and if I don''t see any replies, I''ll let it die again.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement