🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reading on Screen

Started by
15 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 8 months ago
People really hate to read on screen. It''s just a fact! Some of my friends have refused to watch some of the world''s greatest films, simply because they were subtitled... So what does this mean for writers? I''ll tell you what I think. The second memory and production costs are low enough for everything to be voice-acted, that''s what we''ll have. Hence, game writers will need to take their techniques more from film writing than prose... We need to start thinking in terms of props and dialog flow. The other thing i predict this will create withing the production of games is Directors will become FAR more important. We have a lot of clueless voice talent in the industry, and some pretty clueless dierctors too. So crack open Syd field''s Screenplay and take notes, right?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Personally, I don't mind subtitles most of the time.
This probably is true though. In a large-scale RPG it probably wouldn't happen 'til they start putting games on DVD. The sound files would start taking a lot of CD space if everything was spoken in a heavily story-based game.

It is inevitable however. One more thing to make it harder for the amateurs to compete, eh?

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 22, 2000 6:12:03 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I think there are a lot of people are just lazy and/or lack imagination... Personally I loath the day that all games will require voice actors... The whole idea of "feeling involued" in a game = how "realistic" it is comes directly from the mouths of idiots [prolly marketing people]...

I personally loved Final Fantasy III [USA release of FF6, I think, or maybe it was FF5?]...there was no FMV... no voice actors reading from a script...hell it was EVEN in 2D with simple little 2 and 3 frame animations...but, my god, that game felt so real, so alive...all because it connected with my imagination...allowing my mind to provide the voice actors, camera angles, perfect acting, and the ultimate special effects...

I just wish the industry would wake up to that...but judgeing from the recent PC Gamer "gameing gods" feature... I guess not... So we will be stuck for now with silly game stories that would barely work for a B-movie, created by designers who believe they are the next Spielburg... well at least thats how things look for mainstream games... and if the "indie" side ever gets out of it''s current "me too!" funk things will certainly brighten up a bit...

Don''t get me wrong, I love subtitles, they cover bad acting! But unfortunately this is just a fact. People HATE to read on screen. As cool in some ways as I thought MYST was sometimes, the reading killed it for me... A voiceover might have saved that game.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I loathe it too, but we all know it will probably happen as soon as hardware allows it. I think Thief made fantastic use of voices. It provided atmosphere and was actually useful by letting you hear whether the guards knew where you are and so on. They didn''t use voices just so that people don''t have to read. It had some in-game purpose.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Damn, I prefer text-adventure to most of the crap they put out. Reading gives you a better feeling of the entire scene being that you create it in your imagination. Diddums if people don''t like subtitles - they are the lazy few. The majority (if not all) of the people I know would prefer text, provided that it was elegantly written

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

One forgotten point is that most people can read faster than people talk. During dialog-tree type conversations, subtitles and the ability to skip through dialog with a key press become important. Especially if it''s the kind of dialog tree where you can get repeat speech items.

However I don''t think production costs will ever be small enough for say, Torment''s full dialog to be voice acted. Maybe synthesized (::shudder: but not acted, because eventually you have to pay someone at least minimum wage to say every line at least once. And that would be a freaking long time for a game with Torment''s dialog.
Repeat speech is generally a bad thing, I would imagine. Doesn''t someone repeating themselves verbatum kinda breach the whole immersion thing?
If people hate so much reading on screen, tell me why the internet is so popular ?
And why they are so many people discussing in here ?

We don''t hate it, we just want to have nice, big, subtitles.
The only complaint I ever have is that sometimes it''s written too small or colors are badly chosen.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Text in games isn''t that bad... and bad voice acting can *kill* a game... if any of you remember Return to Zork <*SHUDDER*> you will probably go into spasms if you hear the phrase, "Want some Rye? Course ya do!" again...

-Nate

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement