🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Classical copyright?

Started by
1 comment, last by Landsknecht 23 years, 3 months ago
I am posting this in a couple different places. Would I be violating anything if I included OLD music in my games? I mean like Bach or Chopin kind of stuff. I can't make music to save my life and want to add some to my projects. Any ideas? Landsknecht Edited by - landsknecht on March 11, 2001 3:11:31 AM
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Advertisement
Copyright law only offers protection for the owner for 50 years after their death. So you could use a mozart piece for a game, but remember the music is copyright free. NOT any rendition of it. You couldn''t use a recording of Mozart''s 5th by the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra because they own the copyright to that.
*****confused by earlier errors, bailing out....*****
Wow! The copyright law stated correcly in the first reply! (Sorry, but I've been reading a discusion on the legalities of copying video game ROMs.)

Some MIDI authors (I dare not call them sequencers for fear of cofusion) allow for the free use of their arrangements as long as you acknoledge them in your work. Sometimes a ReadMe accompanies the file, but often the copyright and notices are contained in the file itself.

Also look for MOD (Module) files (other formats include IT, S3M, XT.) These are usually better in quality because the samples for the instruments are included within the file. Again, often nformation of copyrights and acknowledgements are found within the file. ModPlug's player allows you to view this information.

Edited by - SonicSilcion on March 11, 2001 11:00:30 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement