🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best 16bit file format

Started by
2 comments, last by Rock2000 24 years, 8 months ago
What I did was use BMPs anyway because I'm just too lazy. BMPs are easy to load, but they have no compression, so I used the free ZLib library to compress them, which was really easy. You can get ZLib at http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib

Advertisement
Hi !!

Well, I also use BMP !! It's easy to load, but they are uncompressed you are right. If you want produce a professionell game it comes on CD, and to fill a cd just with textures is not easy. If you want to provide demos on the new, well, that's no problem with BMPs too, because WinZip (or any other packer) packs them very well, so why not use BMP. And, it really is easy to load BMP into a DirectDraw Surface, especially with so many source flying around on that.

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
What is the best file format to use in games for high color images? I'm leaning toward pcx, even though it supports 24bit instead of 16 color, it at least compresses it, and its a very simple decompression algorithm. bmp doesn't compress anything except 8 bit images, and it seems most other formats don't compress the data either. Assuming at least a downloadable demo, where size matters (I'm not trying to fill up a CD with umcompressed images ), what would professionals use.

And no patented formats either.

Rock

For my 2D sidescroller, I'm using PCX. I use it because it's almost always smaller than BMP (if your image has lots of colors in it, it'll be about the same size, but most images don't have that many colors.) BMP is easier to load, but when you have thousands upon thousands on different tiles that make up different tilesets in your game, BMP vs. PCX can start to make a big size difference. So I use PCX instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement