🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

From The Musical World Of Tempermental Rose

Started by
14 comments, last by Tempermental Rose 22 years, 3 months ago
So, you''re saying that this complicated, expensive and ultimately CPU-intensive process is good for game music? How is that? I think there''s some confusion here as to how DXinstruments work.

Ed Lima - ELM&M
ed@edlima.com
http://www.edlima.com
Ed Lima - ELM&Med@edlima.comhttp://www.edlima.com
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Tempermental Rose
Why do you put an ''an'' before ''hour'' and not ''a''. I thought only words starting with a vowel had an ''an''. Well that''s what it''s like in Australia (you americans are strange to us aussies, MAH FELLA AMERICANS, see what I mean(do you all speak like that?))
''an'' does not come before words that start with a vowel. It comes before words that are pronounced as though they start with a vowel. No-one pronounces the ''h'' in ''hour''...

i think the debate midi vs mod just doesn''t make sense. midi is a communication standard - not more. the commands
include only note on/note off/aftertouch/controller and a few others. what you are talking of is called "general midi" which specifies ~100 instruments (or so-called "programs") as pseudo standard. don''t exspect much quality from it. the situation is completely different when you use ''logic audio platinum'' or ''cubase vst'' instead. mod is like a pet compared to these monsters .
hal_ is right - MOD and MIDI cannot be directly compared because they are completely different formats. The plinky FM sounds of earlier PC soundcards coupled with the lame GM standard ( yeah, I really want helicopter and gun samples in my compositions! ) and the reasons for so many people dislike for MIDI is apparent.

MODs however are just too damned complex to be of any real use to musicians; this is reflected in the amount of ''professionals'' still using it. Musicians like to work in beats, not ticks. MODing is just too much like coding for its own good.

Despite this, the limits of MIDI are well documented. A proposed new MIDI standard has been said to be in development for years - one of the most exciting new prospects is to eliminate the concept of a note existing merely as an event with pitch and duration. Finally, digital composition is beginning to catch up with Max Matthews vision.

Not sure what _hal meant about MIDI improving when using Logic or Cubase. MIDI is merely a communication protocol; the source of the MIDI makes no difference to the output quality. Complex transforming functions and environmental editors aside, MIDI is still just MIDI.
midi has the concept of controllers.
Some of us americans speak like this.. "uh, want some gum?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement