🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

programing language for music...

Started by
1 comment, last by TechnoHydra 23 years, 1 month ago
First i''d like to apologize for this question not really being related to games. The question is, What language should i use to make a music program? i.e. Cakewalk, Soundforge, etc. Would i use something fast like C? OOP language like C++? or Would I be able to get by with something like VB? Theres prolly an obvious answer but I''m not familiar with any major programming language and the features I''d need to vreate a audio program. ANY help on this topic is appreciated. Word Up and Peace Out.
Advertisement
Any of those will work fine if you know what your doing.
In windows, traditionally Multimedia API is used for that sort of apps, no? So any programming language which has the Windows Multimedia API support should be able to do it... though I don''t know if all programming languages can have the code optimized enough not to produce too much overhead. I guess thats not a prob nowadays, Midi is handled entirely by chip onboard the soundcard, I gather.

As for DirectSound and Music line, I''ve never looked into them myself... so I wouldn''t know if they are valid solution for coding that sort of software. Are they some sort of device level wrapper equivalent of original multimedia API? Or different thing all together? If anyone knows. I like to know stuff like that purely for accademic purposes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement