🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Some newbie questions. .

Started by
2 comments, last by dfranklin 22 years, 11 months ago
Hey folks, I''m a programmer and a "real-world" musician (read as: very little experience with computers music-recording). I''ve been looking around online for some sites based on game music, but that doesn''t seem to be happening, so I''ve been relying on some "home recording" sites. However, one thing that I''ve been looking to find and really can''t seem to have much luck with, is. .what exactly are the differences between some of the commercial music-recording/editing programs on the market? I''ve been looking around and asking some people and they use anything from Acid Pro and Cool Edit to Sound Forge and Cakewalk . . anybody know of some articles online or able to help me with choosing between some of these programs? Thanks in advance for any help. . -------- Dan Franklin df@nc.rr.com
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
Advertisement
Depends how you want to make it.

Cakewalk is a MIDI/audio program, useful if you want to compose MIDI stuff or record real instruments: you can use it as a multi-track studio.

Cool Edit and Sound Forge are wave-editing programs. Generally used to add effects to waves, such as compression, reverb, noise reduction, etc. You may also be able to use them to record multiple tracks, too. Sound Forge is generally said to be the better of the two.

Acid Pro - I believe (could be wrong) this is a loop-based tool? You drag and drop samples of loops to form a song. Most useful for the electronic side of music. Basically Acid Pro is the ''Visual Basic'' of music software The same could probably be said for Fruity Loops, although I think FL is a bit more flexible.
Both Sound Forge and Cool Edit are normally used for mastering. They both come with a plethora of fairly average ( but certainly useable ) effects. I believe ( but have never used, so could be wrong ) that Cool Edit Pro can function like a digital multitracker a la ProTools. A good alternative ( by good, read free ) is GoldWave.

Acid being the Visual Basic of music composition - nice analogy . With Acid you essentially drag and drop ''clip-art'' samples to make a composition. Never really used it, but I know that Sonic Foundry do a cut-down free version - maybe you could try it out and see if it is for you.

Fruityloops is different from Acid; it is basically a user-friendly Mod tracker. Originally being a drum-tracker, some of the more advanced and useful features such as the excellent TS-404 synth are a bit fiddly to use; imagine trying to sequence a melodic pattern on an 808.

I guess what you really require is a MIDI / Audio sequencer. As Kylotan mentioned, Cakewalk is a good choice for the newbie, but I would recommend Logic for sheer power and flexibility. Free / demo versions of all the sequencers should be available from the relevant pages.

www.sonicfoundry.com
come.to/richy
www.emagic.de
www.steinberg.de
www.fruityloops.com
www.cakewalk.com

Also, the shareware music machine is always good for free / cheap music software. Poke yer browser towards www.hitsquad.com/smm
I have a program called DMUSProd that is pretty nice if you are going touse the music in games because it is based on the DirectMusic format. It is a little complicated at first, but once you get used to it it''s a vary powerfull tool. I got it with the version of DirectX 8 that came with the book "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming". You can probobly get it at the Microsoft website.

Hope it helps...

tazzel3D ~ Zach

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement