🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing voice from Mp3s?

Started by
6 comments, last by PointSoft 22 years, 11 months ago
How? I have a very nice program called Sound Forge on my hands that will take the voice away, but it doesn''t support Mp3 files... So if anyone could lead me to an alternative solution or possibly a way to let Sound Forge work with Mp3''s that''d be great! (btw; Converting the Mp3 into Wav doesn''t work. I''ve tried. It just gives you a sound with partial voice removed and alot of flange and distortion...) Thanks! Alex Ford PointSoft EA Co., Ltd. http://www.pointsoftonline.com
Advertisement
hey, i donot know the answer to your question, but I have SoundForge 4.5 and donot know how to take the voice out. I''m guessing your taking the voice out of a wav file. how do you do that if you don''t mind explaining. and if you do find a tool to take the voice out of mp3''s please email me.
Well, I actually have 4.0, but here is how I do it in Sound Forge 4.0, goto;

Open your Wav file;
Release ''Process'' from the main drop down menu''s
Click on ''Channel Converter''
And in the Name drop down box click there and go down to the option that says ''Stereo to Stereo - Vocal Cut''

I''m not completely sure if it works on a Channeled Wav correctly or not, but it sure did try with my Mp3''s when I converted them to Wav... Failed of course. It won''t work on all wavs, so if it dosn''t work on your one wav, try it with another. The thing is basically just taking out the Frequency or Channel the voice is on. Some wavs (like wavs made from Mp3''s) have mixed Frequency Ranges or Channels, thus this process won''t work.

I could completely explain to ya why Wavs made from Mp3''s won''t process correctly, but only if you want. lol

Now to everyone else; Please! I still would like to know how to do this with an Mp3! :-)

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.
http://www.pointsoftonline.com
I have soundforge, and it supports mp3s. Well, it''s 5.0, so it may be a new feature to support it.
However, voice removal works by removing anything that is the same in both the left and the right channels.
Usually the vocals are identical in each channel, and the music in different. However mp3 compression screws that whole thing up

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
LoL, Yup! Thats what I was getting at when I said Wavs converted from Mp3''s won''t work... The Mp3 screws it all up, and because of that, there has to be another way (that differs from removing voice from Wav) to remove it from an Mp3... Maybe not... Maybe I''m just hopeing there is... lol... If only I had the CD of this song... The songs I like are not like release on commercial CD''s so... Mp3''s are all I have... *sniff*

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.
The mp3-izing of the audio obviously removes ''unessential'' spectral components. However, the vocal cancelling requires these components to be present.

There are a few other ways to try and remove instruments from a mix. These are by no means perfect; the frequencies of the individual instruments mingle and seperating them again is nigh on impossible.

Simple vocal removal can be done by inverting the left channel, and adding this to the right channel. This has the effect of ''phasing-out'' any audio that is panoramically central - normally vocals. I guess this is the approach used by SoundForge.

A second attempt would be to try and filter it out. Depending on the background music present, you may be able to remove the vocals without altering the rest of the audio. With a lot of time and patience on your hands it is possible to do a good job with this technique; just don''t expect miracles.

Maybe you could recreate the background music yourself, ignoring the vocal components. This is relient upon having a good ear, access to enough equipment to reliably recreate it, and, most importantly, being arsed to do it.

Finally, I have heard something about prosoniq having a ''vocal remover'' program. I''m not sure if these even exists, or if it works. But, you know, could be worth a look.

Sorry I couldn''t be of more help. What you want to do is just about beyond what most audio applications can do.
pointsoft, i just wanted to say thanks for describing how to use sound forge to remove voices in wav files.

Also, i noticed your from VA, keep rockin, theres not many of us east coast guys on here.

thanks again
Hey, no problem. Always willing to help.

LoL, well sorry man, but I''m moving soon... Over to Russia... Dad''s in the military so... Ya know, not really my choice...

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement