🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need a mentor

Started by
7 comments, last by E M 14 years, 5 months ago
I need a mentor for creative writing (fantasy and sci-fi). Anyone out there who wants to be my mentor? :)
Advertisement
Part of finding a mentor to push you further is to demonstrate how far you've gone on your own. What have you learned already? What do you think are your weaknesses?

You have to show the potential mentor that it's worth his time to help you.
Re: Oxin

How about you be my mentor instead? What do you think are
the three most important concepts to understand as a writer?

If the world as we know it ends tomorrow, all written records
are destroyed, and you are the only writer left. How would
you go about teaching the rest to write?
What a great question Wai. That will really make his mind wonder about all the details that will come and go trying to answer your question and answer his own on learning to write or asking for help from a mentor.

I learned this.

Write what you know.
Research your topic.
Write your ideas, suggestions, concepts of art detail to how your hero or herine will act in your storyline in a note book.

Come back to your note book a few days later and see what you come up with if your still insterested in the topic your working on. Date and time your ideas.

Keep your notes neat.

Ghostknight
I checked Oxin's posting history and discovered the mentoring threads at the Help Wanted section. I don't think Oxin would have a problem finding a mentor because there seem to be quite many mentors available. This forum is full of helpful people.

The Golden Rule of writing is to understand what the audience value in your work.

I am re-learning writing by starting small. The principle is that if your work is valuable to the reader, you could distill your idea into one sentence. That sentence alone should be able to deliver your message or to hook the audience. When you can proof to yourself that the value is there, then you write the one paragraph version. After that, the one page version.

This skill is useful regardless whether you are writing an article or a novel. It starts and keeps the reader reading.

Similar to GhostKnight's concept of keeping a notebook, I wish I had always kept my best piece of writing handy, so that I could focus on beating it everytime. Since I didn't keep it, I can only focus on beating what I last wrote everytime.
Hello Oxin,

How is your creative writing coming along?
If you need some help on writing, I can help you. Send me an email of what you have, and what your goals are, and we'll work together on helping you help yourself.

Christopher Hatfield

christopher.hatfield@live.com
If you need another brain to pick I'm always available as well even if its just needing someone to critique some writing.

ClockworkIMP@gmail.com
Clockwork MUD: clockwork.genesismuds.com:2550
Dear Wai, I think that you can't teach anyone to be a writer.
The writer is a combination of 2 elements. A real one and an imaginary one
Your character, ethics, mortality, overall knowledge, painful past, future dreams and your current status will merge with your imagination through your creative mind to shape a piece of art which is a mixture between fancy and reality.
This wild imagination to form a world of your own is a gift or talent. You can't teach it. However you can explain how to evolve this power of imagination, but your student will still lack the passion.
Oxin, I'll be very glad to share ideas with you. Feel free to email me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement