🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hello

Started by
1 comment, last by Th3Kr1cket 14 years, 4 months ago
I am new to game designing. I am looking for advice on majors/minors that are suitable for getting in the video game industry. This is what's most appealing to me in order. 1. writing stories/creating characters/ideas 2. drawing/art 3. music making I want a serious degree and a "game designing degree" doesn't sound like that to me. I understand that ideas are nothing without your own hard-work and that is my favorite part about it. I'm brand new to this forum so sorry if I sound weird.
Advertisement
Hello tk, you wrote:

>I am looking for advice on majors/minors... for...
>1. writing stories/creating characters
>creating.../ideas
>2. drawing/art
>3. music making

1. Take a degree in writing.
1b. Read Sloperama FAQ 3.
2. Get an art degree.
3. Get a music degree.

Obviously you aren't going to get three degrees. You should major in writing and minor in art, since you listed your passions in order. And you should go to a school that offers not only your major and your minor but also music. I went to a music school, didn't take any music classes except music appreciation, but there were pianos and electric organs (and even a pipe organ) that I could get my hands on, and there were practice rooms you could use. By the time I graduated (in Speech & Drama), I was an accomplished guitar picker.

Enough stories. You need to View Forum FAQ (see link above) before you start asking more Frequently Asked Questions, or for explanations, okay? Read first. Ask after.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Will do. Your site is helping me a lot with my questions now. Thanks for the advice also.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement