🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What would I look into for my modeling hobby? (highschool)

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 3 months ago
(To be clear modeling = 3d-models with textures, made commonly in Maya or 3dmax) Yup, another “What should I do!” topics. And yes Tom Sloper (http://www.sloperama.com/) I did read your very fine website and it answered a lot of questions for me. But before the threads questions, some back information which hopefully explains it better. I’m 17, a junior in high school, live in Nebraska (central us) and near a major city (Omaha). I’ve been modding games since I was 13, modeling for them since I was 15, and semi-coding since I was 16. I do want to get into the game industry as either a modeler or programmer. But I’m not sure what kind of job I should research. I really love modeling; but only static-props. Buildings, chairs, desks, and so fourth. Sometimes I’ll see a photo and try to recreate parts of the building before life grabs me back from it’s clutches. If I see something I like in a game I’ll try to recreate it. Organic things (humans, animals, somewhat trees) though are things I detest to model. I tried many times to get a hang of modeling characters; but not once did I grab any enjoyment when I did these. I found it extremely slow and tedious. Animation wise I haven’t put much effort into it, especially not lately. I’m fairly new to true programming languages but have been using a game-script who’s syntax is like C++ for a year, and am reading through my first C++ book at the moment. Seeing my functions work like they should is a blast for me, and have made complex mods from games just to test theories out in how something could be done. I could see myself being either a modeler or a programmer and working inside the game industry is something I’ve wanted to do for many years. So in the end.. 1 : What kind of job or education should I research for someone who creates the scenes props and pieces, rather than animation and characters? 2 : Would it help me out (under the expectation that I go into modeling) to be dedicated to learning a programming language ; really getting into the dark corners of it rather than teaching myself bits and pieces of it? To flesh out the second question: I still want to learn a proper language regardless. But would it broaden my chances by really learning it; make an interviewers eyes go big? Apologies on poor grammar and the like. If anything needs to be fleshed out or rephrased just ask or PM.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Windexglow
1 : What kind of job or education should I research for someone who creates the scenes props and pieces, rather than animation and characters?
2 : Would it help me out (under the expectation that I go into modeling) to be dedicated to learning a programming language ; really getting into the dark corners of it rather than teaching myself bits and pieces of it?

1. An art degree, focusing on 3D computer art.
2. Nobody can foretell your future, but it is likely to be beneficial, no matter what career you go into.

Quote: To flesh out the second question: I still want to learn a proper language regardless. But would it... make an interviewers eyes go big?

No, it won't make their eyes go big. It might raise an occasional lone eyebrow, though.

Quote: Apologies on poor grammar and the like.

You should work harder at it, so you don't have to apologize for it. Seriously.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement