🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

school / portfolio question.

Started by
1 comment, last by FiveSidedRoom 14 years, 1 month ago
I'm gonna start of by saying that i read lot before I post. However recently I've been wondering if this is taking me on a good path.. I currently live in a suburb of Kansas city, and goto Johnson County Community college (JCCC for short) I'm enrolled in the game design course and going into the second semester currently. My question is the classes I've taken I wanted to apply towards a small game project or something I could do on my own to start working on a portfolio. From reading most of where you want to start with c++ and stuff like that I'm a little discouraged I don't know windows programming, I've only learned console. From the looks of the degree program i do not learn windows programming. Now I know a junior college isn't suppose to make you 100% read you are usually suppose to move onto a 4 year degree. My simple question to the other designers and programmers out there would a class structure set up like this: http://www.jccc.edu/home/depts.php/5303/site/careerprograms/AAS-GAMEDEV Assist me in setting up for the current game programming / developing world? I know this is a tough question to answer but i feel like I'm not learning anything important when i can't follow a simple tetris c++ tutorial cause i have no idea what the language terms do exactly.
Advertisement
Hello turlisk,

i learned scientific programming ... and believe me there is not much graphics stuff in it. But if they teach you the 'art' of good programming, than all you have to do is buy a book and learn some simple stuff on top of it. If you know your math and basic programming you will find that a good book or tutoral gets you to making games quickly.

From what i read on the homepage it sounds like you will get a good education. But they can only teach you so much ... the key is just doing it. Start making a game.

If you cannot follow a tutorial ... look for another one. Sometimes it is just the tutorial that is bad.

--GWDev
Hey TLisk...

I'm from Kansas as well... Starting the Game Development program up at JCCC this summer, I talked to my cousin Shawn (Works at Insomniac Games in CA) and he said JCCC's program is better than most Jr. Colleges but you should still specialize in one area and build a portfolio.

That being said, what kind of project were you planning on working on? I do some work in 3D Studio Max, and have basic knowledge of C++ and Java, If you want to get a little team going eventually we could definitely do that.

-> FSR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement