🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about mp3 format

Started by
1 comment, last by ColdFace 22 years, 10 months ago
Hello I have a simple or not so simple question about the mp3 format. I am on a programming team and our sound designer wants too use mp3. So the question is do we need to make royalty payment to use this format legaly. Two members on my team seem to disgree with one another. One says yes the other says no. Me i don''t know. So if anybody has any information on this it would be really helpfull. I have found two sites: www.cptech.org/ip/busines...audio.html www.mp3-tech.org/patents.html They seem to lean in the direction that we need to pay a royalty. To me if we need to pay that is not a problem. So again if anybody has any information that may help me on this it would be really helpful. ColdFace Gaming is a way of life believe it
Gaming is a way of life believe it
Advertisement
Currently, it''s only for streaming mp3. The current buzz is 2% of the revenue from an mp3-streaming product, with a $2000 minimum. This is only for internet streaming though, so you don''t have to worry.

You may wish to go with Ogg Vorbis instead. Just as good, but completely free.

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick

"It is far easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it first passes through a blender" -- Damocles
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Thanks thats what I needed. My sound designer has mentioned Ogg Vorbis so I will look into that too.

ColdFace

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement