🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SDL - (Is anyone else using it)?

Started by
3 comments, last by Zuvembi 24 years, 11 months ago
never heard of it. sorry.

------------------
Mark Collnis
- EHB Software

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Advertisement
Sorry, I should have stuck that in the original post. SDL stands for Simple Directmedia Layer. It allows portable access to the screen, and sound, input, and threading stuff as well. It's what loki used to port CivCTP to Linux. You can find SDL here. Hope that helps some. It seems to be a fairly nice package for developing games under Linux. I'm using it right now to code a cheesy tetris clone, just something to familiarize myself with it. I particularly like the idea of using a cross-compiler in Linux to compile games for windows from the same source code. It's supposed to be do-able, but I haven't tried it yet.

[This message has been edited by Godfree^ (edited August 03, 1999).]

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Looking at the screen shots and stuff, it seems worth a peek... hell I might even use it instead of writing my own version... (moi? lazy? whatever gave you that idea )

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I've started making some small games with SDL in Linux, some to brush up on my C skills, some to increase my skills at making game-type programs. Is anyone else currently using it? Just curious as to what your thoughts were on it, and especially thoughts on how best to write good code using it.
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Yes. I am using it for my upcoming game Bomb Squad.

I am currently working on converting the header files to include files -- for use with asm. Yes ... I will be coding it in assembly. And yes ... I am a little odd.

This will be my first attempt at writing a "cross platform" game and I am pretty sure that I chose a nice API to use to do it in. It looks like it has fairly good documentation -- more than most Linux apps/libraries/API's that I have seen.

- Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement