🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

help finding game programming resouces.......

Started by
5 comments, last by Tha_HoodRat 24 years, 9 months ago
If you want a nice developer friendly API, try SDL. IT has BMP support and an API for sound. If you want to do 3D Graphics, try the GLUT. Both SDL and GLUT have support for various input devices.

If you want to try lower level stuff, have a read of the Linux Programmers Guide.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Advertisement
Hmmm, I'll throw some links for ya.

SDL can be found at
http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

I'm rather fond of SDL, it's a fairly nice game development kit, and the samples that come with it are useful/amusing.

A good site for Linux Game programing links is the Linux Game Development Center (though it is usually slow as dirt)
http://sunsite.auc.dk/linuxgames/

I hope that helps some.

------------------
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

And be thankful for it.
Thanks Godfre and Zuvembi , SDL looks like exactly what I need , Ill download it at work tonite . Can I email you guys if I,m having problems getting started ?
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
I have no problems with support via email, but I would recommend subscribing to the Linux Game Developer list at the sunsite link above...

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I'm probably not the person to talk to for anything other than setup issues. I'm just starting my game programming. But I do have a reasonably good idea where to hunt down info, and can probably help get your machine setup. FWIW.

------------------
And be thankful for it.

And be thankful for it.
I am new to the linux enviroment (just installed suse) but not to game programming. I need help getting started , will my old dos graphics routines still work ? Which graphics format does linux support , pcx , bmp , gif etc, What about sound support?I am still trying to find books libs and tutorials any info will be greatly appreciated....................
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
You could also check out the ClanLib Game SDK; which is a higher-level API than SDL, and takes care of much more than just the primitives. It gives you very easy access to display, sound, resources and a outstanding network API.

Its located at: www.clanlib.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement