🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting up linux.

Started by
1 comment, last by Neko 24 years, 8 months ago
1. Hmm, not sure what the problem is here. It sounds like your doing it right. You might want to try XF86Setup, or XF86Config, they are not as nice, but might work better for you. What is your vid card?

2. use yast -
Choose/Install Packages -> next either choose
Change/create configuration (if you want to install more stuff from the suse cd)
or install packages (if you want to install from a directory or ftp or something.)

3. Okay here's what I tried
--------t.cpp-------------
#include

int main (){
return 1;
}
--------------------------

%gcc t.cpp

creates a.out, works fine.

My guess is you installed gcc & egcs - but NOT gpp. gpp is all the c++ stuff. Try installing that package and it should work fine.

4. Well when you get X running - KDE has floppy and cdrom icons on the desktop you can just click on and mount & mount with those.

floppy - "mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy"
cdrom - "mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom"
or it might be "mount /dev/hd[bcd] /cdrom"
for ide cd drives on /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd. Or it could be /dev/sd[abcdefg] for a scsi CD-drive. You should have a default symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to whatever your actual cd device. So just try /dev/cdrom and it should work.

"umount /floppy", "umount /cdrom"

Take a look at the man page for mount and that should help you also - "man mount".

some good sources of info are the howto's on your system in /usr/doc/howto/en - Most everything you need to know is in one of these documents.

Use zless to view them - ex. "zless CDROM-HOWTO.gz"

Assuming you're using a modem and not ADSL or Cable, I find the best way to configure you're dialup stuff is kppp. It's very nice. It's right in the main KDE menu under internet.

Arstechnica forum is a good place to talk to people about linux and get help. it's http://forum.arstechnica.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi - go to the linux kung-fu section.

Hope that helps.

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Advertisement
Guys I am new at this and am getting a bit frustrated.I have a couple off problems.I am using S.U.S.E distribution.

1.Setting up xwindows , I run the sax , and configure my monitor keyboard etc , then it says sax will now start the xserver , It brings up a window and I save the current mode.
I exit and try to run startx , then I get an error msg , invalid mode (either 640x480 or whatever mode I choose).WTF

2:How do I add/remove/update packages?

3.I use pico to write a small cpp hello world program , save it in the correct format . At the command prompt I type in gcc -o example example.cpp . Error , no such file iostream.h

4:How do I access my floppy drive and cd rom ,

if you would be so kind as to answer my questions or point me in the direction of a good resource I would be very grateful.

If I can get past these small little hurdles , I could start on my games :-)

[This message has been edited by Neko (edited November 06, 1999).]

All vague notions must fall before the student can call himself the master.
Thanks a lot Zuvembi, the info was very useful.
All vague notions must fall before the student can call himself the master.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement