🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is This TRUE

Started by
3 comments, last by Babu 24 years, 7 months ago
No, this is not true. The development environment is based on it, though, likely just for hype factor. It does not use Linux as its operating system though, no.
Advertisement
Basically from what I understand, you dev on a linux box that has a pci card with basically a psx2 on it. You do all the deving with the workstation HW, then testing with the internal PSX2 card.

I doubt that sony is using Linux as the dev environment for PSX2 just for the hype factor. It probably has more to do with

1)free - no licensing hassles
2)easy to write device drivers for
3)easy to fix something if it's broken
4)stability
5)lots of coding tools with source available to hack
6)runs on x86 HW as well as heavier duty unix boxen HW

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Actually, believe it or not the official dev station from sony is a playstation 2. It's central processor is the much hyped "Emotion Engine" CPU that runs the playstation 2. The dev station also has all of the same bits and pieces and connectors and extra cpus and stuff that the console has, only in workstation form. So it also has a keyboard and mouse, CRT adapter for a monitor, and hard drives. This is the station that runs linux. The playstation 2 itself though works just like any other game console.(Excepting Dreamcast)

Jonathan

Is this true ----
The OS used in PS2 is Linux.

Could you show me some articles that supports the above statement 100%.

Thanks
Bob
babu_games@yahoo.com
kbase@hyperlock.com

------------------
babu_games@yahoo.com

babu_games@yahoo.com
Thanks for your information.
What I learned is LINUX is not the OS running on the Playstation2 console. Then
what is the OS that the PS2 will be running. First I'll explain my problem. I am in
a team developing a plug-in sort of thing for PS2. And after the some sort of research
I thought the OS in PS2 is Linux (But not quite sure, as I couldn't get any more
info on that somehow I found this FORUM and the rest is all known to you.) I am
very curious to know about the OS on the PS2 console because our plug-in is for the
internet browser ( What ever it may be, either IE or NS or from any third party) and
which will finally (doesn't actually depend but if we know the OS it'll make our job
a little easy) depend on OS.
I have one more question, Where can I buy the SDK for PS2.

------------------
babu_games@yahoo.com

babu_games@yahoo.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement