🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C# vs C++ On A Resume

Started by
10 comments, last by demonkoryu 13 years, 9 months ago
I've been a solid supporter of XNA Game Studio and C#, so much that I've practically focused all my game dev into that API and have refactored all my past code into a reusable, open source library.

However, I've always known a good knowledge of C++ is an industry standard and the more anxious I get to start developing my portfolio and applying to companies I realize my love of C# might get my resume tossed versus having a solid C++ on there.

Do you think HR looks for keywords like C++ or can understand when someone with lots of knowledge in a certain language is able to apply it to other languages?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed this should probably be moved to 'Breaking Into the Games Industry' forum.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Advertisement
If you want a job in the "mainstream" game industry, you need C++ on your resume, end of story. There are far too many qualified candidates available to rely on someone trained strictly in C# to learn on the job.

Moved to Breaking In.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Umm... maybe I'm missing something, but why not put both in your resume?
I was just looking at the latest Castle Wolfenstein code release and it's all in C, not C++ :-O . Don't know what the other big companies are using though.
As Promit said, you're going to need C++. In a better economic environment maybe you could get away with an entry level position with no C++ qualifications, but right now, competition is extra-fierce. Even tools guys and gameplay scripters are often coming in with C++ experience now.

Remember, when you're applying for a job, you're not just trying to meet the stated requirements - you're trying to exceed the qualifications of everyone else who wants that job.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Is there some reason why you can't put both? Never applied for a game programming job, but as far as non-gaming companies go: some would like to see C# and some would like to see C++. I would just list both and them emphasize one or the other depending on what they're looking for.
Quote: Do you think HR looks for keywords like C++
That is not how it works.

Past C++ experience means you were employed in a C++-related position as programmer. That is confirmed by providing a reference (manager, coworker) from that place of employment that will confirm your work. You'll also need to explain the work done.

If this is for intern/entry-level/junior position, then you have no past skills as far as HR is concerned.

Some job applications will accept self-taught courses, either as part of university, certification, third-party training. Occasionally, open source work may be referenced if it has some penetration (actually used, not just hosted as open source).

For first job, grades and portfolio, as well as low salary expectations will be about only deciding factors. If obtained via HR, first job will likely be non-technical or related to data entry.

Junior programming positions almost always require proven affinity for programming. TopCoder rank, university competitions, team projects as part of extra-curricular activity and such. Past internships as well.

"C/C++" (not C or C++) as part of job requirement almost always means thorough understanding of OS fundamentals, hardware architecture, resource management, development toolchain and ability to apply CS theory in practice. These are only proven on the job, being able to write C++ code doesn't count, it's just a tiny part of it.

There are some exceptions, but they involve networking past the HR.

And if you have any kind of options - don't apply for the job/internship, make them offer it to you. There are tons of career fairs where companies look for fresh blood. Get them interested there, and you will bypass the HR altogether for a prescheduled meeting where they might genuinely give you a chance. Obviously, your work will sell you, whether it's written in C#, C++ or BASIC doesn't matter much, as long as it sells you.
Thanks for all the feedback.

For some clarification, I'm not opposed to having both C# and C++ on my resume, but I'm trying to determine which I should have a more solid grasp on. Currently I have a good understanding of C# and little to no understanding of C++ apart from some tech demos I've written using it. At this point I'm determining that I should probably flip that and begin to focus on C++ and apply what I've learned from C# and from my job (Java programmer) to gaining a good understanding of C++.

Another item to clarify, in my case it would be an entry-level position as I am around a junior level at work however it isn't a game dev company so much of my knowledge is more generic.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Hello,

I'm new here and perhaps I can shed a different light on this.

.Net certainly is no mistake nowadays. There is very little you cannot do with it. But if you are serious about programming, then good old C / C++ still offer some very valuable experience, no matter what you want to program.

Don't let the similar syntax fool you. C and C++ force you to write very clean code, especially what memory management is concerned. There is no framework that protects you and no garbage collection to clean up after you. If something needs to be checked or a block of memory needs to be allocated or released, then it's up to you to do it. In return for all this effort you get much greater control over the CPU and all the rest of the computer and fast code (if you do it right) as a bonus.

The profit for you? In time you have little choice but to become a very disciplined programmer and you will certainly know much more about what is going on inside the CPU and in your memory.

That's why C and C++ are good things to show up on a resume.

Quote: Original post by Ed Welch
I was just looking at the latest Castle Wolfenstein code release and it's all in C, not C++ :-O . Don't know what the other big companies are using though.

Isn't Castle Wolfenstein from 1981? C++ only saw light in 1983 :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement