🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio Content

Started by
9 comments, last by frob 13 years, 9 months ago
I have a question about my current portfolio content, basically is it enough to start applying to entry level positions or should I hold off until I have more content? Since I'm only asking about the content I haven't turned it into a proper portfolio format yet, so I don't have an about me section or my resume linked.

Portfolio

Edit: Also what content should I look to add
Edit: Also I have 2.5 years experience working for a tech company in applications and web development using C# incase that matters.
Advertisement
What are you trying to apply as? It looks like you are skewing towards graphics.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote: Original post by yaustar
What are you trying to apply as? It looks like you are skewing towards graphics.

Any entry level programming job really. That said I've definitely been enjoying the graphics and physics programming.
The content looks fine as is. It provides lots of information toward the two employer questions (1) can you do the job well, and (2) will you fit in. You have videos so they can easily see it and source/binaries so they can review the details.

What you need is a good resume that drives them to look at your web page. Since this is entry level your projects should be listed prominently at the top with plenty of transferable details.

Alright, next step, I've changed some of the formatting and included links to my resumé on the portfolio. Can I please get a critique of it?
Could still use some advice on my resume
Drop the years and dates for your programming languages. I've only skimmed the resume but did you have a list of tools and technologies? Drop any non- relevant jobs: like the bartender one.
Quote: Original post by Altourus
Could still use some advice on my resume

You asked for a portfolio critique, not a resume critique.

Read the many other threads about it.

You made many of the same mistakes: Lists are useless to employers; self-assessments are meaningless; several items don't apply; references on request is garbage; 'experience' means actual employment experience; describe transferable details; give an amazing presentation that forces employers to look at your portfolio; ... and what does bartender experience have to do with programming?
Quote: Original post by frob
and what does bartender experience have to do with programming?

If he was a bartender, then it belongs on his resume. All paid work experience belongs on the resume.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote: Original post by frob
and what does bartender experience have to do with programming?

If he was a bartender, then it belongs on his resume. All paid work experience belongs on the resume.

That's what I had always assumed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement