🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interview Questions in the Industry

Started by
10 comments, last by dclyde 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi ,

What kind of interview questions are generally being asked for categories ?

-> c-c++ development ? how deep are the questions ?

-> datastructures and algorithms , what about being asked about graphs ?

-> 3d maths ?

-> physics ?

and what about other type of questions ?

thanks in advance...
Advertisement
That depends on the position you're applying for. You'll get different questions if you're applying for a junior tools programmer position than if you're applying for a senior programmer position.
Ok , I am asking it for firstly "junior" jobs , and if you have time
I'd love answers for "tools" , "graphics" , "ai" , "physics" and "gameplay"
positions.

Also generally , what kind of C++ questions should a junior game programmer candidate expect ?

thanks...
Different companies ask different things. Some ask for academic type stuff. Others ask you to fill out small games. Others, try to ask more practical questions based off problems that had to be solved in their own code bases. The only factor common across the board is that they'll all want to see either your work and your thought process, and you are judged on the perfection of that compared to all other candidates.
I've been interviewing recently. I was asked four times in one week of interviews to do "reverse a string in place".

One interview involved meeting five people -- two of them asked me that, two of the others wanted recursive Fibonacci evaluations. Weighing N things with M weighings on balance scales showed up twice, there was also petrol stations and pirate ships having crashes a couple of times.

It's like everyone on earth has read the same two articles on interviewing. It certainly started to feel a bit deja vu towards the end. It's not even a matter of discussing that asking "gotcha" questions is bad thing[1] -- everyone asks one of the same couple of them...

So there you go. Memorise the answers to some of those questions and you'll be well away.

Also trivial stuff like what a virtual function is, why virtual destructors are important and what public/private/protected inheritances are. Learn those now, because you'll get asked them no matter how long your career is. You too can look forward to being asked noddy stuff like that with two or three or four decades experience.

Or, pick a different career. That would be my advice. My mother told me not to go into computing and I really wish I'd listened.

You know what's really scary? Those level of questions are actually useful at filtering people out. That's the state the industry is in. That's another reason to have listened to my mother.

[1] Microsoft does it. Ergo it must be a good thing and we must do it. Funny how that principle doesn't apply to generous stock options and private offices though isn't it?
thanks a lot...

i am used to Microsoft interview questions ( I worked there actually ) , have much experience with them

but I am looking to "game industry versions" of them ,

For eg , rather than asking a classical -> implement a find common ancestor in a BST , what would be asked in game industry ? Would it be something like this -> specific algoritms for scene managements , AI and so on ... ?

if you do a google search for Microsoft/Google interview questions , you will find tons of them , there are even books about them , even channel9 there is an example whiteboard interview...

But I couldnot get satisfying results for game industry when i did google...

Quote: Original post by Katie
I've been interviewing recently. I was asked four times in one week of interviews to do "reverse a string in place".

Where they looking for the XOR trick of reversing? I hate these kind of trivia questions they ask people. Unless you are working on an embedded system 9 out 10 people are going to do the old swap with a temp variable. Most compilers are going to optimize the temp variable out anyway so the loop is much more readable.

For the OP, for the jobs where I've had questions in the interviews (for my current job they liked my previous work and figured I knew what I was doing so the interview was mostly talking about games) its always been the same general questions you find for non game jobs. But I've always applied for junior generalist positions.
Quote: Original post by akhin
But I couldnot get satisfying results for game industry when i did google...

I thought Katie's response (above) was brilliant.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I do agree ,

But if you look at my original question at the top , I am not only interested in
general programming & data structure questions , but also other topics as well which could be possibly asked in a real interview
Quote: Original post by akhin
I do agree ,

But if you look at my original question at the top , I am not only interested in
general programming & data structure questions , but also other topics as well which could be possibly asked in a real interview

I read that as, "Great stuff! Give me more!" (^_^)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement