🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Recommendations of new skills

Started by
4 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 13 years, 8 months ago
I am approaching graduation with a Bachelors in Computer Science. I have gotten proficient in
C++ but I need to know what other skills do they look for in the Game Industry. I need to know is there other skills do I need to learn like PHP?
I have experience in programing a game, used the API Allegro and scripted one game. Currently working on a game engine with same API. Is this good aswell for breaking into the Games industry?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Animeplayer
1. I need to know is there other skills do I need to learn like PHP?
2. Is this good aswell for breaking into the Games industry?

1. Yes. There is other skills do you need to learn. And they are not all programming-related. English, for instance (since your profile says you live in the USA).
2. Yes. It is good aswell, but that isn't to say that it's enough. You will never be done learning. If you want to be a game programmer, you ought to be willing to learn a number of programming languages, tools, and environments.

If you scroll up and look for the tiny blue link that says "View Forum FAQ," and click it, you will find some useful information there. You should read FAQs 49, 40, 16, and 30.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote: Original post by Animeplayer
1. I need to know is there other skills do I need to learn like PHP?
2. Is this good aswell for breaking into the Games industry?

1. Yes. There is other skills do you need to learn. And they are not all programming-related. English, for instance (since your profile says you live in the USA).
2. Yes. It is good aswell, but that isn't to say that it's enough. You will never be done learning. If you want to be a game programmer, you ought to be willing to learn a number of programming languages, tools, and environments.

If you scroll up and look for the tiny blue link that says "View Forum FAQ," and click it, you will find some useful information there. You should read FAQs 49, 40, 16, and 30.

Thank you for pointing the direction to me. I know it's not enough with one game, I love to do more with the Dev team I joined, but our projects barely get to be completed since we lack in artists in sprite works. I know that there is no limit in learning because as technology improves, so does our craft.
You're welcome! (^_^)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
You're welcome! (^_^)

P.S. Found additional info I was thinking of doing if I decide to leave for Japan, your very helpful!
I have a feeling you were just looking for a excuse to head of to Japan :D
Well thats fine. I'd do the same. Fortenetley its a good place for a programmer to be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement