🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Suitable Education?

Started by
10 comments, last by BGrizzMayne 13 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by shaolinspin
frob: I did think about that, maybe physics programming is the route in to the industry for me. I guess I should put together a physics demo. I genuinely do have passion for game dev - I spend all my free time (and much time when I should be doing other things) game programming. It's more of an obsession in fact. Possibly I've been too cautious about emphasizing the game programming aspects, since at the moment my CV is being picked up by various recruitment agencies and I don't want to frighten off any potential employers who might consider me for a research or scientific programming position (which is my plan B in case the game dev thing just isn't going to work out right now). I guess I need to split my CV into two versions, one heavily slanted towards game work and the other towards scientific work. Thanks for the advice.

My resume is all game experience. When I was looking for a job I had it posted up on all the online job searches and I got lots of calls from non game related places looking for people with 3D programming experience. So I'm not so sure that having game experience on your 'professional' resume will have that much of a problem. I suspect your main problem is people are going to be seeing a Ph.D. applying for entry level positions. But that has already been talked about.

Advertisement
I agree with the above. Seems with your qualifications that developing physics engines should be your emphasis, not so much the game development aspect. Though if that's what you truly love, then follow what Slope said. Make yourself all about games and prove that to the company.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement